 Castle / 11604
Re: Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 11:18:57 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.castle, Benjamin Whytcross writes:

Appologies for coming into this discussion a little late, but I've found a
good way to create pikes involves taking a lance, adding a technic peg to
the end without guard, and adding a spear to the end of that...makes a
decent length weapon.

Benjamin Whytcross

The technic connector has seen more use of late for this find of stuff
(pikes and naginata).  Not as heavy looking as the one-by-one round, nor as
gaudy as the chrome lightsabre handle.  I think the lightsabre
blade/peg/spear works better than the lance/peg/spear.  Not as long (and
pikes could edge out over 20 feet) but visually better since the former
doesn't have the clutter of the handguard and pistol grip.

Bruce

I'd certainly have to agree with the appearance difference...however, if
you're doing a scene with pikemen inside a shielded area with other soldiers
around them, then no-one will be able to notice the handguard...and it does
make it easier for the soldiers to carry them.

[Also, with the 'pistol grip' in one hand, and the lance in the other, it is
possible to show the soldier actually using the pike across their body,
which I thought looked better than the alternative.]

Benjamin Whytcross