 Castle / 5865

Subject:
Making Pikes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:55:35 GMT

I need some pikes for my medieval/renaissance armies and I was wondering what
solutions others have used, the standard spear being too short for a pike.  I
thought of shaving off the axe blade from the gray halberd, which leaves a
longer spear, but it has that clunky squared off section, and a pike should be
longer than a halberd in any case.  I can get a long enough effect with a spear
mated to a lightsabre, though at the cost of a rather unsatisfying color
combination.  Any suggestions?

Bruce

Re: Making Pikes
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I need some pikes for my medieval/renaissance armies and I was wondering what
solutions others have used, the standard spear being too short for a pike.  I
thought of shaving off the axe blade from the gray halberd, which leaves a
longer spear, but it has that clunky squared off section, and a pike should be
longer than a halberd in any case.  I can get a long enough effect with a • spear
mated to a lightsabre, though at the cost of a rather unsatisfying color
combination.  Any suggestions?

Fake it. :)

Have your minifigs standing sideways in the pikewall, so that the "pike" is
angled down through both their hands.  In the upper hand, have them holding a
spear, with as much extension as they can get.  In the back hand, have them
holding an antenna rod, or a solid 'lightsaber blade', so that the shafts line
up.  Might not stand to a close inspection, but from a distance it should
definately look cool.

James

Re: Making Pikes
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
I need some pikes for my medieval/renaissance armies and I was wondering what
solutions others have used, the standard spear being too short for a pike.  I
thought of shaving off the axe blade from the gray halberd, which leaves a
longer spear, but it has that clunky squared off section, and a pike should • be
longer than a halberd in any case.  I can get a long enough effect with a • spear
mated to a lightsabre, though at the cost of a rather unsatisfying color
combination.  Any suggestions?

Fake it. :)

Have your minifigs standing sideways in the pikewall, so that the "pike" is
angled down through both their hands.

That works for the Swiss, who were very agressive, though I don't think the
Scots were that sophisticated.  Good suggestion.

In the upper hand, have them holding a
spear, with as much extension as they can get.  In the back hand, have them
holding an antenna rod, or a solid 'lightsaber blade', so that the shafts line
up.  Might not stand to a close inspection, but from a distance it should
definately look cool.

That's the way I currently have them (lightsabre blade, lightsabre handle,
spear).  I could horrify everyone and simply glue and paint them so they'll be
sturdy and look better.

Bruce

Re: Making Pikes
[...]

Why not use a lance for the grip part, and attach a spear to the other end?  If
the minifig holds the lance "backwards", the handle would give ample
opportunities for connecting bit to hold the spear.  Done in the right way, it
could even suggest the "lack of sophistication" of Scots (although anyone
capable of making and weilding a claymore seems pretty sophisticated to me).

eric

Re: Making Pikes
Why not use a lance for the grip part, and attach a spear to the other
end?  If the minifig holds the lance "backwards", the handle would give
ample opportunities for connecting bit to hold the spear.

This is a lot like what we did when we needed to make Japanese spears for a
game a few months ago, we reversed the lances and attached sabers to the butt
ends (rather than spears).  You can find pictures of them at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/games/n-setup.htm

Done in the right way, it could even suggest the "lack of sophistication"
of Scots (although anyone capable of making and weilding a claymore seems
pretty sophisticated to me).

More properly stated, if you meet someone who has made and is wielding a
claymore, are you going to tell him he's unsophisticated?

- Mike Rayhawk.

Re: Making Pikes
Why not use a lance for the grip part, and attach a spear to the other
end?  If the minifig holds the lance "backwards", the handle would give
ample opportunities for connecting bit to hold the spear.

This is a lot like what we did when we needed to make Japanese spears for a
game a few months ago, we reversed the lances and attached sabers to the butt
ends (rather than spears).  You can find pictures of them at
http://www.teleport.com/~rayhawks/games/n-setup.htm

I like the ones with what looks like the toilet-plunger (flag-holder, whatever)
with 1x1 round and katana.  Either style is fine for a naginata, but not quite
what I'm looking for in a western pike.

Done in the right way, it could even suggest the "lack of sophistication"
of Scots (although anyone capable of making and weilding a claymore seems
pretty sophisticated to me).

More properly stated, if you meet someone who has made and is wielding a
claymore, are you going to tell him he's unsophisticated?

- Mike Rayhawk.

Ummmm, errr, I was refering to the Scots methods of pike-handling as opposed to
the Swiss.  The Swiss were capable of much more offensive action than the
Scots.  Considering the latter were often facing longbow armed troops, this
proved decisive on more than one occassion.

And I ain't arguing with anyone slinging a sword whether he made it or not.
:-)

Bruce

Re: Making Pikes
[...]

Ok, I am away from my legos, so I can't test this, but tell me what you think,
cause after all, I seem to be famous for my makeshift weapons.  How about if
you did this.  Take a lance, turn it around, and put two 1x1 round bricks of
the same color on the handle end.  Then insert a silver dagger (from the
underwater lego sets) into the top most 1x1 round brick.  How's that?

--Anthony

Re: Making Pikes