 Castle / 3809
Re: Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 05:28:14 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
I've been thinking a bit about those Wolfpack and Forestmen (1).

First of all, I think the reason they are so sought after and viewed as "cool"
by many castleers (aside from being hard-to-get :) is their rag-tag and
slightly disorganized personality. Unlike the other subthemes, these don't
have a defined-by-TLC leader (unlike King Leo, Majisto, etc) but are sort of
improvised "armies".
Their connotation is also very different. While most subthemes have a pretty
clear cut connotation (eg RK -> good guys, FK -> bad guys), these groups are
not definite. Some view them as thieves, others view them as wandering
warriors.

There's much more I can say about this, but another thing I came up with in
the process of thinking about them:
The WP seem forest-like to me. IMHO, brown is a great forest color and fits
the forest life. The "forestmen" OTOH seem to fit a more lush, green valley
life.
In my realm, the WP will not be theives as many people view them. The
forestmen might be, tho'. The WP will DEFINITELY have a leader in my world and
they might (or might not) be allied with the FM.

I have not thought out this whole idea but these were my first thoughts.
LMKWYT!

-Shiri

(1) I say Forestmen but the referrence is to both Dark Forest AND Forestmen.

  ~bit of a ramble, but all very on-topic...

  my forestmen are generally the villagers of a quirky small town called
HILLENDALE that is located on a river that runs through a large dense
forest. half of the town is in the wooded hillside, and half is built out
over the river. it's sort of like a medeieval New Orleans in many ways.
about 175 years old, hillendale has a lively culture, that benefits from
it's combined farming, hunting, building, and fishing resources.

  the foresmen w/ blue collars are the fishermen, who  maintain the
riverside of hillendale. the black collared f-men, known for their agility
and skill, are the fierce protectors of this side of the town. ('tis said
they are part _goblin_!)
  the green w/ open collar and the red collar f-men tend to the parts of the
city that that go uphill and among the trees of the woods. they are the
"urban" dwellers, running a great variety of shops and services, an inn (of
course!), and several small taverns and bistros.
  various "peasants" are the farmers of a brief rolling countryside in the
forest, a few miles from the town proper. they live a more "rural" lifestyle
of humility and hard work. they are the most honoured of hillendale
citizenry and form the governing council.
  the dark forestmen w/ brown collars are the hunters that live deeper in
the forest around the farmlands, which they are the protectors of.  there
are also a couple of lumberjacks/ wood workers in part of the forest
outlying hillendale toward the mountains.
  also deep in the woods toward the mountains is the wolfpack, a gang of
marauders, (nothing short of feral), that goes by the name, BANDELOUPS (from
the french ~ ;-)  things have _not_ been the same since the WILDE TWINS,
WENDEL & WENDY joined up! she is now the leader, with her brother and their
two "pet" wolves at her side. (ok, so they're unbearably cute belville
puppies, but it looks like an unbearably cute WOLF next to mini-fig!)

  the other various & majickal, green and brown characters from my
craigo-lego page are the herbs and spices; but it's these characters who
provide the stock of the hillendale gumbo!

  s'funny you should ask, shiri!  i'd only ever thought of these characters
in vaque terms in the past. (mostly because there were'nt that many of 'em!)
over the weekend, i was sorting my awesome new FOTW(*), as well as breaking
down several castle sets from a display. as i was sorting the 'figs i gave
it some thought and came up with the outline above.  (i was also MAJORLY
inspired by recently reading Neil Gaiman's "Stardust", illustated by Charlie
Vess. ~ highly reccommended!) i'd been wanting to write it all down
anyway...  ;-)

  i was also struck by my nice assortment, which didn't exist at all just
one year ago. (just a few dark forest; no classics) thanks to the wonderful
people i've traded and bought from (via rtl & lugnet), i am a happy camper!
5-6 years ago, i was into my lego rennaisance, but not on the net, which
seems like a dark ages of sorts looking back. here's hope for you newcommers
looking to do the same! i can't imagine a better group of people than
friends of lego.

later ~ craig~

(*) ~ there is another headed my way this week! i'm recieving an even
bigger collection (+ $50!) in exchange for designing a dragon tattoo for my
pal who's a bike cop on my street! (i can feel the green gazes!) i'll be
sharing a pic of the design with .castle, as you all will find it strikingly
familiar and unexpected. :-) i'll post the details wednesday!

i'm working on my dragon storylines, set in the mountains beyond
hillendale, where the kingdom of lapis, city of beauty and art is located.
all this has had me thinking on dragons for weeks!  i'd love to read more
posts in the "Dragon Lore" thread, y'all!!