 Castle / 3783
Subject:
Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:10:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've been thinking a bit about those Wolfpack and Forestmen (1).

First of all, I think the reason they are so sought after and viewed as "cool"
by many castleers (aside from being hard-to-get :) is their rag-tag and
slightly disorganized personality. Unlike the other subthemes, these don't
have a defined-by-TLC leader (unlike King Leo, Majisto, etc) but are sort of
improvised "armies".
Their connotation is also very different. While most subthemes have a pretty
clear cut connotation (eg RK -> good guys, FK -> bad guys), these groups are
not definite. Some view them as thieves, others view them as wandering
warriors.

There's much more I can say about this, but another thing I came up with in
the process of thinking about them:
The WP seem forest-like to me. IMHO, brown is a great forest color and fits
the forest life. The "forestmen" OTOH seem to fit a more lush, green valley
life.
In my realm, the WP will not be theives as many people view them. The
forestmen might be, tho'. The WP will DEFINITELY have a leader in my world and
they might (or might not) be allied with the FM.

I have not thought out this whole idea but these were my first thoughts.
LMKWYT!

-Shiri

(1) I say Forestmen but the referrence is to both Dark Forest AND Forestmen.

Re: Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts
[...]

Right on, Shiri!  I'd have to agree with just about everything.  The one thing
that's different in my world is that the WP and Forestmen Coexist, each being
thieves.  The Forestmen have kind of a Robin Hood-esque(?) appeal to them; the
whole steal from the rich and give to the poor thing.  The WP, OTOH, are just
a bunch of guys who want more cash to finance their needs (beer, ale, other
various intoxicants, as well as weapons.)  For my WP leader, I used the head
of the Hoth soldier, because it's got that bit of hair hanging down, and
there's a sly and mischievious look.  As for the clear-cut good guy bad guy
thing, I just think it depends on who you ask.  If my WP stole 10 barrels of
ale from the KK, then the KK regards them as "bad guys."  If they sold that
ale to the DM, then the DM see them as "good guys."  It probably would change
frequently.  That's my take on this situation.
-Chris

In lugnet.castle, Chris Maddison writes:
Right on, Shiri!  I'd have to agree with just about everything.

Well I'm glad we agree!

The one thing
that's different in my world is that the WP and Forestmen Coexist, each being
thieves.  The Forestmen have kind of a Robin Hood-esque(?) appeal to them; the
whole steal from the rich and give to the poor thing.

You're right, I couldn't avoid that feeling too. But in my realm it's the WP
who are Robin-Hoodish... I really don't want to wreck my story but my WP
generally go against the royalty.

The WP, OTOH, are just
a bunch of guys who want more cash to finance their needs (beer, ale, other
various intoxicants, as well as weapons.)

LOL! ..."other various intoxicants"... hehehe...

For my WP leader, I used the head
of the Hoth soldier, because it's got that bit of hair hanging down, and
there's a sly and mischievious look.

I like that face. I used it for a less sly guy, though - a wizard.

As for the clear-cut good guy bad guy
thing, I just think it depends on who you ask.  If my WP stole 10 barrels of
ale from the KK, then the KK regards them as "bad guys."  If they sold that
ale to the DM, then the DM see them as "good guys."

<grin> It's all in the timing. (1)

I see what you mean, but I meant in the "real" people's eyes, not the minifigs.

Thanks for the second view!

-Shiri

(1) "It's all in the timing. My name's Bill, BTW."... ten bucks if you know
where that's from ;-)

[...]

Sounds cool when can we here more?

That sounds pretty cool how you compare those two factions, but what about the
bulls? In my "lego world"  I used The Bulls and The Wolfpack together as a
Mercenary Guild who sell their services to the highest bidder. For the Leader
of the WP/Bulls is a druid named Harlan (Brown Cowl,Brown cape, WP torso,
Iceplanet 2002 old guy face and Homemade Staff)I'd like to describe their
Alignment as Chaotic Neutral with a streak of evil. They are idolized as
heroes by some and spit on like criminals by others.  I also use the Forestmen
but I use them as elves instead (although there is a satyr in their ranks)well
those are just my thoughts
-Cj

Re: Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts
That sounds pretty cool how you compare those two factions, but what about the
bulls? In my "lego world"  I used The Bulls and The Wolfpack together as a
Mercenary Guild who sell their services to the highest bidder. For the Leader
of the WP/Bulls is a druid named Harlan (Brown Cowl,Brown cape, WP torso,
Iceplanet 2002 old guy face and Homemade Staff)I'd like to describe their
Alignment as Chaotic Neutral with a streak of evil. They are idolized as
heroes by some and spit on like criminals by others.  I also use the Forestmen
but I use them as elves instead (although there is a satyr in their ranks)well
those are just my thoughts
-Cj

Ah, foo.  I forgot about the Bulls.  In my world, they are the "real" bad
guys.  None of the other factions like them or deal with them.  They're just
a "keep to themselves except when the want more land or moolah" type of
minifigs.  Also, like the ideas about the elves.  I might have to check into
that...What do you use for legs?
-Chris

Re: Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts
In lugnet.castle, Chris Maddison writes:
Ah, foo.  I forgot about the Bulls.  In my world, they are the "real" bad
guys.  None of the other factions like them or deal with them.  They're just
a "keep to themselves except when the want more land or moolah" type of

Shouldn't that be Moo-lah? =]

Just milking another bad joke from the udder-ly silly Bull faction.  Now I'll
be hoofin' it out of here.

Tony

Re: Forestmen and Wolfpack... thoughts