 Castle / 2399
Re: [CW] Pawel and Craig - please clear up this confusion!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:48:46 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Craig Hamilton writes:
In lugnet.castle, Jason Catena writes:
Craig, I'm sure I speak for the rest of us when I say that we all greatly
appreciate the work you're doing with Castle World: the time and thought
you're
putting into this is one of the concrete reasons this will work out at all.

I'm sure you are, Jason! Craig and Pawel are working 24, 7 (well, almost) and
I know it's gonna work out great! Even if we get some rocky points, I'm 100%
assured that it's only because we're heading toward a mountain, and that
eventually we'll be standing atop it and viewing the beautiful lands and
realms of Castle World!!!

(forgive the metaphorical speech - I didn't have english class today so I have
to make it up somehow ;-)

I believe that there is a problem with the amount of space in each realm. I
think we all want to spread things out as much as we can, and have lots of
room
in each realm for several major interacting structures, and some distance
between them, before we have to move to another realm. The more we can fit in
each realm, the more likely each realm will be to spawn enough stories to
earn
enother realm.

Speaking for myself, I think a 4x4 grid of 32x32 maps, that is 128x128 studs,
would serve very well for a nanofig realm map (see my other post). Each of
these studs would end up translating into a 32x32 baseplate. I believe this
is
the kind of scale for a single realm the many people would like to see...

I agree. A 'far off' view of the world would be great, so you can view more
buildings at smaller scales.

thank you, so much, jason!

this is the perfect reasoning we need.

if you look back into the original CW posts, pawel originally mentioned
mapping the world on a grid of 4x4, to which shiri responded 4x4 _what_?

what indeed.

it doesn't matter. the 4x4 grid aspect is the primary building structure
in the CW map, as well as the overhead view of lego proportional
relationship. these realms can surely be as large as you suggest! (128x128
of 32x32 bp's)
i'd love it! i thought people may have gawked at the prospect
of that much space. guess i was wrong there! 16x16 was the smallest i'd go,
but it still seemed small to me. so fishing for feedback, i started there. i
am so sorry to have upset anyone.

Don't worry bout it! We all had different ideas about how CW will be, so even
if it causes some disappointment, it's better if you tell us this now than to
tell us this AFTER you finish all the hard work, and discover we didn't want
it like that. I agree that posting this has caused some dispution but it's
better to get over these disputes now...

realm measurements in 32x32 baseplates, in the square.
128 is great! it "feels" a lot more natural in mini-fig walking distance,
(which is the best scale reference i've ever heard!)  who's for going
bigger!? ~ although 128 sounds right. here's why:

bear in mind, that a _truly_ impressive CW country or extra large large
kingdom should reasonably be made from several adjoining realms. don't you
think? jeff's huge kingdom should appear much larger on the map than, say,
pawel's isolated stormbrachter fortress, or shiri's small island cove. such
large countries and kingdoms should exist, and are accomidated for in the
system. they simply need to be "built". this won't be as laborious a you may
think. everybody starts with three realms (see chessboard thread) by
strategicaly adding a fourth realm, you claim not only it, but the
encompassed NB, which can then be built on. really _two_ realms gained, if
you think about it!  add two more, after eight ballads, and enclose another
NB, making it 3 more.  now, after only 12 ballads, you have a good sized,
large kingdom or country comprised of 8 realms.

OK! I see what you mean by Pawel "chess" post now. You can only build on a
"black" realm if you have all the four surrounding it? Otherwise, you can only
take white" realms?

jeff s., you could easly break your massive history into enough
"chapters",(each qualifying as a ballad, my friend) to claim a massive area
of several realms right off the bat. after that, you'd have a lot of
building to do! if you have plans to go bigger, the last of your worries
will be running into another baladeer's realm. let your wishes be made, and
i'm sure your fellow balladeers will do nothing but support you in it, and
steer clear. p and i are also going to coordinate and monitor these things.
when you reach 20 or 30 realms, you may be dominating a sub-continent, and
run into a few smaller realms or realm-doms that you may want to sign
treaties with. someone building a small village may want to put in your path
of expansion to have it absorbed and protected under your country, even.

Yeah, like the feudalist-type serfs! (I love that system. Other than
Communism, it's my favorite throughout history - not that I think it's fair,
but it's great for lego castles... :)

we'll never run out of space, so there's no reason we should be cramped,
or worried about land grabs.  when we first start out, it will even seem
that we're very far apart.(i'm guessing 20 realms or so) this will rapidly
change.  i anticipate CW growing outward quickly at first, but slower later
on, as every expansion surrounds the previous square, creating MUCH more
land space every time.

Right! So by "filling" a realm (by either 4 ballads or buildings) you could
get one, two or more realms which would enlarge your "country", right? (Craig,
you MUST find a name for a balladeer's collection of realms! :) So then you
have much more space than you might need.

Here's a question. Can one earn a realm but not claim it immediately? For
example, I have three realms - more than enough for my tiny collection. But I
make eight ballads, just because I enjoy creating them. So can I claim one
realm now and save another "realm right" for later? I know, for example, that
in a few months I'll start a new project with some new characters, but I don't
know how close or far I want them to be from my current realms. So I want to
wait, and decide later.
Would that be OK?

eventually, those of us who are the first to settle in, will comprise an
area known in Castle World as the "Inner Realms". these are the innermost
points of the four continents, where the big blue legocean is located. since
our world has no end, it must have a center. in the center of the legocean,
is the center of the world. there is a 8x8 realm square in the center of our
world where no one can go. all of CW's rivers and seas flow into a vortex
located there. if mini-figs sail in there,they are gone from Castle World
forever. this center is represented on the Castle World flag by the time
twister disk. (suprise!)

throughout the realms, innumerable different theories, speculations, and
even religions have sprung up regarding this vortex at the center of the
world...

I love this! Potential, potential, potential!

...but that's another story...  ;-)

Enough for five more ballads AT LEAST!!!
:-)

Thanks, Craig. This is clearer now. Infinite possibilities of land, a center,
as many or little realm space as we want... Great!

-Shiri