 Off-Topic / Fun / 4416
Re: Fantasy series & anime music (was Re: [CW] Pawel and Craig - please clear up this confusion!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 05:02:56 GMT

Shiri wrote:

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:

Followups going to off-topic.fun cos this is getting way out there • from .castle...

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Johnston writes:
Jeff Stembel wrote:
Well, they are 'kids books'.  Depends on how young you were.  Now, I suspect
it'd
be whether you were willing to put up with the obvious Christian allegory - I
know
a lot of people get frustrated with that, but

I hate that allegory.
I was really disappointed with that when some girl told me about this. Being
Jewish, I never even thought of that, but it does make sense.

Considering that Lewis was an incredibly devout, er, whatever-he-was - (Anglican?
Or Catholic?) like Tolkien, it's really not surprising to think about it.

And I agree, it's a cracking good read anyway.  (And I personally like many
of the morals and such presented in it better than a lot of the ones that
pass for 'Christian' these days.)

And, like all the *best* allegories, you can still read it and ignore that
level and have fun.

Another book I'm reading now, (which I'm fairly certain is at least partially
allegorical, although I don't know enough about Taoism or Buddhism to figure
it out) is the _Journey to the West_.  And the story is good enough that I can
set aside the allegorical level and just enjoy it for what it is.

sakura@mediaone.net     is     Jeff Johnston       http://www.io.com/~jeffj
My LEGO Web page has moved!  Go to: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/sakura
Check out my Trade List and Want List - * - Last Updated 12/19/1999
LEGO Geek Code:  SP+ CA +++ (375/6075) PI +++ #++ S--/++ LS++ Hal  M+ A++  YB73m