 Castle / 2384
Re: [CW] Pawel and Craig - please clear up this confusion!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 07:23:53 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi Pawel and Craig.

There seems to be huge confusion here as to the size of the realms. I suggest
you talk about this in greater detail, since many people are not quite sure
about "filling up a realm", and whether a realm is a full sized country or the
size of a large fortress.
The scale is not quite clear either.

I suggest that, in order to avoid disappointment (like Jeff Stembel wondering
about his country for example) you come out with a clearer statement of the
whole map concept.

I'm not intending to sound mean or formal, it's just that we are really
confused! :-(

TIA,
Shiri

thank you, shiri!

  i was just coming to post, hopefuly, just such a thing.

  aaarrrghhh!

  posts are coming in so fast,  can't respond to them all! the last thing i
wanted to do was Castle World into "Castle WHIRLED"! please read the posts
i've made trying to clarify some points.

  i thought people would be pleased.  each balladeer starts out with three
realms, with the gaining of additional realms achieved through archiving 4
stories with their models. the dimentions of which i outlined for approval.
each realm is a 16x16 grid of 32x32 baseplates. that's over a 13 foot square
of lego baseplate in human terms.

  measurement in CW should be in lego pegs rather than human miles or feet.
this is a mini-fig world, where they live. mini-fig scale is dificult to
average to say the least, and generally breaks down to what looks right in
context. (i mean when was the last time you drank from a cup/ chalice that
was as big as your torso? c,mon!) this is a lego world, where earth and
humans don't exist.

  in order to support the interactive aspect of CW, a unified scale of some
sort is absolutely needed. a general average made. i made sure the largest
castle structure id'ever seen,(m. uring's, cmiiw) would fit inside one
realm, and went wth that. hey, we can always bump it to a 32x32 square of
32x32 baseplates, but this seems rather ludicrous.

  our world can't spring forth fully blown. we have to build it. HEY! we GET
to build IT! we enjoy building, remember?

  the map is like the nervous system of the CW site. the creations on it are
flesh, blood, heart and soul of Castle World.  i've kept a tight lip for
fear of causing confusion prior to the accompanying graphics and data base.
i'm leary to reveal more now.  as much as i'd like to make a clearer
statement of the whole map concept, without the graphics, i'm afraid that
would be impossible, and only result in more confusion.

  VERY IMPORTANT SPOILER:

   what i've designed is not so much THE map, but a mapping system. ~ a
modular system with infinite possibilities.(very similar/ based on LEGO)
balladeers will even eventually be able to terra-form their own
sub-continents if they wish. a system where we build the world outward, and
infinely.

  that's right. infinite. ~that's my last spoiler until the graphics are on
line. please keep speculation down to a dull roar, so i can get the rest of
the needed work done. until then, rest assured that CW will NEVER run out of
space. the bad news ~ CW is as "flat" as a fritter! ah, but we don't ever
have to worry about going over the edge!  we'll have endless seas to sail,
and always undiscovered country further out.

  but CW does need a unified scale that we can all relate to and deal with.
i'm seeking the best concrete average, and there's no way that's going to
fit the exact great expectations of 15-20 different people! would asking for
compromise on top of courtesy, cooperation, and creativity be too much?

  as lego builders, we are quite used to working in systems, and i'm sure
once it is provided, we will all feel at home there, and discover new ways
to work within it together.

  i beg your collective trust, confidence, and patience. it's best that i
keep a tight lip and get the graphics done asap. a small, attractive island
realm in the legocean is no more a problem for Castle World to provide than
a 50 realm sub-continent, ideal for building a vast kingdom. i promise. i
want nothing more than for every balladeer to be satisfied, and will find a
way to accomidate each as best i can.

  please, y'all, try not to worry any more about the map until the new
graphics are on the site. i don't know when this will be, but it'll
certainly be as soon as i can humanly possibly do it! i'm as anxious as
everyone else to get into CW and play! also consider the tremendous amount
of work involved.

  as i said in the original scale post, which started the uproar, use this
time to work on your wonderful models, characters, and stories. i look at
your sites everyday, and have nothing but admiration and respect for you
all. each and every creation is a work of art, and Castle World is merely a
gallery.

  later ~ craig~