 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1883
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:50:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Paul Easter wrote:
...<snip>...
I'm not sure if this will help.

It did!  Thanks for adding another piece to this puzzle.

The .8 rgb values weren't quite high enough, but I'm rerendering it now with the
values a bit higher.  I'll post the results tonight.

Try adding this to the end of your light statements;

light_source {
<360, -98, -20>
rgb <0.8, 0.8, 0.8>
parallel
point_at <0, 0, 0>
shadowless
}

So, just out of curiousity... where in my picture, or rather what spot on the
truck or background is <0, 0 ,0>?  From what I've previously understood about
the directions I would have guessed that value is out of the frame.  Or is that
the whole point?  Is it, in fact, pointing to somewhere far off to the right?
Because it seems as though the light is coming from center left (left of the
cab) and pointing almost right at it, without further illuminating the ladder
above.

You probably already know that adjusting the rgb values will change the
brightness of the light.

Yes.  :)

I think someone else mentioned that the combined total of your lights shouldn't
be more than about 2 or 3?

Also, if you want to see where the light is located, Try adding this sphere
line, shown below, right after the main object statement.

object { ladder110__inst__b_dot_dat #if (version >= 3.1) material #else texture
#end { Color7 } }

sphere {<360,-98,-20>,16  #if (version >= 3.1) material #else texture #end {
Color1 }}

I'm curious to see what effect this will have.  I will try it tonight.  I assume
it's just a troubleshooting technique?  To help you better place/aim your
lights?  If so, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again!
Allan B.