 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1881
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 22:45:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Will Hess wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:
This is my latest attempt.  I've stopped using the radio_1.inc file.  It just
seemed to be too difficult to get the lighting right, while using it.

Instead, I'm happy to settle for a more 'instruction book' like image.

So what's the sound of a LEGO builder thumping his head against his computer
monitor?

You say you don't want to know?

Good thing you weren't near my PC when I got home from work today.  :)

Quick recap:

I decided to try one high quality render, using the following lighting setting:

light_source {
        < -8000, -10000, 8000 >
        color rgb 2
        area_light <1000, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 1000>, 2, 2
        adaptive 1
        jitter
}
// main light
light_source {
<140, -40, -340>
//<300, -530, -340>
rgb <0.504006, 0.509306, 0.519997>
parallel
point_at <159, -90, 133>
}
// fill light
light_source {
<139, -36.7, 550>
rgb <0.508499, 0.520325, 0.529999>
parallel
point_at <139, 0, 233>
shadowless
}

Which is actually a combination of two settings provided by two contributors to
this thread.

I had decided that I wanted to do one high quality render of the truck itself...
as the main picture to illustrate what the model looks like.  Then, I am going
to drop all the settings down and just have LPub kick out a set of instructions
as I did with Pumper 3.  So...

I set render quality to 'high', set LPub to use LGEO parts, set POV-Ray to
render at 1280x1024 AA.  Other than that, I made no changes to the .dat file or
the .pov file.  Then I clicked the 'run' button and went to work.  Here's what I
had when I came home this afternoon:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/misc/ladder110b.jpg

Everything looks great, except that black hole that is the front of the cab.
This is the problem I've tried many many times to overcome, but can't figure out
how to aim a small light under the ladder to illuminate the cab front, without
overexposing everything else.  Can anyone suggest a way to solve this?

If it helps, here is the .pov file I used:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/misc/ladder110_inst.pov

Here's some things to try:

The orthographic camera setting was changed in POV-Ray version 3.5.  The
command works the same, but it has been moved to the beginning of the camera
statement, like this:

camera {
orthographic
#declare PCT = 15; // Percentage further away
#declare STEREO = 0; // Normal view

I tried that.  It did work, though produced an unusual result.  It was kind of
like a perspective drawing, only in reverse. The ladder seemed to get thicker as
it went away from the camera, rather than thinner as it should.  So, I stopped
using that setting.  :)

For the lighting and camera angles, you've done so much tinkering with these
that I am unable to get my canned settings to work.  Could you send me a
basic POV file (w/ no options changed from their defaults) created by L3PAO
to work with?

Sorry, I must admit to being a life-long tinkerer.  Normally, with other
software, it's the way I learn best.  I have never struggled to understand a
program like I am with this stuff.  See undoctored .pov file above.

I'm still frustrated with the jagged lines.  This image used anti-aliasing, but
did not smooth out all the lines.

Did you render at the 1280x1024, AA 0.3 setting?  If you did then I'm at a
loss here :-(

I didn't before.  I did for the pic shown above.  And it does render
beautifully.  Until you resize the image.  Then the lines return.  :(

Wheels are fixed.  I still feel like a bonehead though.  :)

Don't feel bad...I did the same thing with one of my rigs too.  In my case,
it wasn't caught until AFTER it had beed posted to my website for a couple
of days.

Which is why I'm trying to get a handle on all these techniques before launching
headlong into the rest of my 4-wide series.  I want to get to the point where I
can do up the model, render, and then do the instructions... all without feeling
like I'm starting the learning process over again each time.

I actually changed all the window bricks in the cab.  It's now a 1x4 without
center posts as the front brick.  Then 1x1's as the side windows with nothing in
between.  I think this helped a bit.  Let me know what you think.

I like that look a lot better.

I must agree.  :)

In the picture above... other than the lighting problem around the cab, the
windows look pretty much exactly as I wanted them to.

Thanks again!
Allan B.