 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1835
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 01:10:10 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:

   So... here’s where I’m at so far:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/engine68/engine68-dark.jpg

I think it’s obvious, the front is just way too dark, but I can’t seem to figure out how to set the lights to illuminate it.

If it helps, here is the .pov file I used to create the render above:

http://www.apotome.com/lego/engine68/engine68.pov

I have played around with the light settings, both position and quantity of them. Nothing has seemed to improve the picture. Does anyone have any suggestions for direction or types of lighting that would help a render like this? And also, anything that might help to optimize the red color, since that’s the primary color of the model?

   Have a look at Jeroen’s POV Radiosity includes at http://www.digitalbricks.nl/diy.html

I grabbed those files. I started it again with radio-3.inc and only a couple of my original lights. The radio file seems to include an ambient light setting, but by itself this still seemed a bit dark.

I also commented out the line that included the rad-sky.inc file, as I didn’t want the blue background.

   It’s great, despite the long render times.

It’s rendering right now. Yes, significantly longer, though because of my old PC (a 286 powered by 253 9-volt batteries) I am accustomed to long render times, even with my original settings. :)

Just kidding...... it’s really a P-150 but it’s still obviously quite slow. The nice thing is that I start a render.... and go to bed. Helps me to spend less time at the PC.

By the way, do those files do anything to alter the colors? Or is that a separate process? I’ve seen Todd’s custom LEGO-oriented color files, but I’m not sure how to implement them. Any thoughts?

Thanks! Allan B.