 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1878
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 04:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Will Hess wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:
So.... is there a way to create an invisible floor?  One that you don't see (as
in it's the same white color as the background) but will allow you to project a
shadow of the vehicle?

Make a white floor and use the translate commands to move your model away
from the seam where the floor and background meet.

But wait... your renders (which I am trying hard to copy the style of) don't use
a floor either, is that right?  :)

Nope.  A bare floor doesn't do much for me, so I leave it out.

I think I'm going to go with that approach as well.  I'll try a floor sometime,
but once again after the lighting problems are solved.

Mmmm...send me your code and I'll have a look at these two problems.

Will do.  Thanks!

2)  What's with the jagged lines running between the bricks?  Sometimes I get
them (such as here) and sometimes I don't, which makes things look much more
realistic.  Problem is, I can't seem to figure out what does or does not cause
them.

Try using the highest resolution w/ anti-aliasing setting when you render
the model.  After the picture is done, use a image editor to resize the
picture down to a more managable size.

Makes sense.  I'll try that.

P.S. - Nice stick (ladder truck).

Thanks.  :)

I am curious though...did you mean to put
the wheels on backwards?

Of course I did.

NOT!

Man, what a bonehead I am.  I've looked at that image dozens of times now and
never noticed that.  I built the tyre/wheel combo on one side, then copied and
moved it to the other.  Apparently I forgot to rotate it 180 degrees.

Perhaps I'll fix that tomorrow.  ;)

Another thing, you might try using either a 2x4 or
a pair of 2x2 clear bricks for the windshield, unless you're trying to make
the model possible in real life.

I'm split on that idea.  On one hand, I like the idea of trying to get a clean
render, using whatever color/combo bricks are needed to achieve the model you
want.  On the other hand, I'm also creating the instructions for these 4-wide
apparatus, and want them to be buildable.  Plus, using separate bricks, gives a
slight impression (from the side) that the front brick is part of the windshield
and that the brick behind it is the side window... in the door.  I might try
switching them to 1x4's and see what happens.

Thanks again for the help!
Allan B.