 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1842
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2003 22:23:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.ray, Orion Pobursky wrote:

   I found a much easier way to include these colors

Add the following lines after the radiosity include statement. If you don’t add them after the radiosity include, the colors will be overrriden by the rad color file.
#include "<LUGNET Color>.inc"
#declare <L3PColor> = material{ texture{ <LUGNET Color> } }

Ah, O.K. I think I see how this works. You’re effectively telling POV-RAY, “here’s a color file I want you to use. Now, here’s what color you should assign that file to. In other words, when I say RED from now on, I want you to use that LUGNET color file that you included earlier.” Is that a fair recap?

   Where:

<LUGNET Color>
is the name of the LUGNET Color you want to use

<L3PColor>
is the name of the L3P color decalre you want to override. Typically this is in the form of ”Color” + Ldraw Color Number

Note the the above declares are case sensitive

If you have any more question, please ask.

--Orion

Ok,

I quickly whipped up an include file for all the LDraw colors in the LUGNET Color Guide library.

Find it here: http://ldraw.pobursky.com

under the Program Addins Section. It’s down at the bottom.

I was going to ask, “can’t we just put all the LUGNET colors in one file?” But it looks like you beat me to it. :)

Thanks very very much for doing this. I’m sure it will be helpful.

A couple more questions though... I hope you don’t mind.

I’ve been using LPub as my gateway into POV-Ray. It seems to do a good job getting a basic .pov file ready for rendering. However, from what I’ve read and from suggestions that people offer, it seems like you will almost always end up going in and editing the .pov file manually. Is this a fair statement?

What I cannot seem to figure out is where in the .pov file the output size is defined. In other words, let’s say I set my output to 800x600 in LPub. POV most definitely then renders to that size. But no where in the .pov file can I find a reference to 800x600. I’m guessing it’s being converted into another scale value, but I can’t quite find that either.

I ask this because sometimes I like to try a very small render first, to check lighting, position etc. However, this means that LPub has set the size in the .pov file. If I then do the manual edits (for include files, lighting, radiosity etc.) I end up with a more customized version of the .pov file. But if I then go back to LPub, change the size, and try to rerender, it overwrites my custom .pov file with it’s original settings.

Long story short... what do people suggest as the best way to try small test renders, then manually adjust the size etc. for the final run?

I hope that makes sense... as a question.

Thanks again! Allan B.