 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1849
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 10:55:10 GMT

Please read (my own) post on lighting here:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=1822

I read that.  I think the one thing that still escapes me is the use of the key
light.  Is there some magical way in which you determine the latitude and
longitude for the light?  And its radius etc?

No magic involved here. Best way is to be inspired by real photos. Take a good
look at a picture you like (or where you like the lighting) and try to figure
out where the light s coming from and where the camera was placed.

A rough guide:
camera at 0,45,0
keylight at 40,5,0 (color <1,1,1> or 255,255,255 in L3P(AO))
fill light at 15,80,0 (color <0.5,0.5,0.5> or 128,128,128 in L3P(AO))

Just fiddle with these coordinates. If you move the camera to the left then move
the lights with it. Oh, and try extremes: in this picture
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jeroendehaan/TheRoyalTrain/0001test.jpg the
main light is above and slightly behind the model and the fill light is coming
from the left.

But experiment with the Rough Guide settings first ang get used to it.

Will download your POV and send you a altered one.

As you will probably see, I was really just shooting in the dark (pardon the
pun) when it came to using the lights.  I would welcome any thoughts and/or
suggestions.  I've tried searching the POV-Ray site, but couldn't find something
as simple as, "here's how to position a single sample light, to give you a
simple sample render."  Their stuff was a bit over my head.

I've learned that using 2 lights is often enough. If you want to highlight dark
parts you can place an extra light.

It also earns to read the POV-maunal about lights, there are several options in
POV-Ray; the standard radiating in every direction light which L3P generates,
spotlights, parallel lights, lights that created soft shadows (and in the
process fry your processor ;-)...

Personelly I use parallel lights now, because you can influence the direction of
the light very easy.

The most confusing thing about lights (and cameras for that matter) are the
coordinates; it freaks me out all the time. so keep pen and paper next to your
keyboard and try to draw your model, 3 axes and where your lights are now. It
makes things a bit easier to alter then.

Thanks in advance,
Allan B.

No thanks!

BTW, the reason the render takes so long is the LGEO parts. I think transparant
LGEO parts are NOT hollow (as normal LDraw parts are) so POV-Ray has to
calculate how the light trafels thru several layers of transparent plastic and
their refraction.

I'm seeing Anton Raves next week and will ask him how to solves this.

Jeroen