 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1854
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 16:26:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Allan Bedford wrote:

First off... let me say again, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed
to this thread.  Due to input from each of you I feel as though I've been able
to make good progress in the direction of the types of renders I hope to achieve
for my fire apparatus series.

I usually put the lights far, far away from the model, to get more of the
surroundings lighted (more like sunshine).

I'm not sure if this is the type of thing you meant, but it's close to what I
eventually want:

(Large file warning:  ~150k)
http://www.apotome.com/lego/engine3/pumper_3.jpg  (1)

The lighting is 'natural' as I see it.  It is rather dramatic and somewhat high
contrast... perhaps too much to in some areas, but I can work away at that.

I also usually set all lights, execept one, as 'shadowless', to get away
from the 'three spot lights' look. Quick rendering at a small size, 'QUAL=0'
is used to decide which light should cast a shadow.

Interestingly, the image above does have one light that is not shadowless.
However, there are only shadows on the engine, not below it.  Is that because I
have removed the reference to the floor include file?

Also, it is often good to add an extra (shadowless) light at exactly the
same point as the camera, as this will make sure everything you see is
lighted one way or another - this brings out the details when you look
_into_ the model from the camera. You may have to give this light a lower
intensity:

I believe in the image above the the key light is point at just a slightly
different point than the camera.

However... you knew there was going to be a 'however' didn't you? :)

Two things concern me.

1)  The graininess seen on things like the controls for the pump panel.  (The
1x2 printed tile near the center of the pumper).  And things like the front
headlights.  Is this effect a result of collisions?  Or problems with LGEO parts
not being available for these pieces?  Or a bit of both?

2)  The angle or perspective of the engine bothers me.  It is a short vehicle,
but the render really makes it look really stubby.  I've read about the
'orthographic' setting, but must admit to not understanding it.  Is there some
way to alter the 'look' of the image, so the engine looks a bit more realistic
in its proportions?

Thanks in advance... and thanks again!

All the best,
Allan B.

(1)  This LEGO render is a 'work-in-progress'.  It is my representation of the
real Pumper #3 assigned to Fire Station #2 here in Stratford, ON.  For an idea
what the real engine (a 1976 King-Seagrave pumper) looks like, here is a picture
of it, taken a couple of years ago:

(Large file warning:  ~140k)
http://www.apotome.com/lego/engine3/stratford_p3.jpg

I'm still working on the smaller details.  :)