 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1848
Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2003 00:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Jeroen de Haan wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote:

So... here's where I'm at so far:

<snipped>

Just kidding...... it's really a P-150 but it's still obviously quite slow.
The nice thing is that I start a render.... and go to bed.  Helps me to spend
less time at the PC.

By the way, do those files do anything to alter the colors?  Or is that a
separate process?  I've seen Todd's custom LEGO-oriented color files, but I'm
not sure how to implement them.  Any thoughts?

Hi Jeroen,

First of all, please do use the radio_2 settings. Radio_3 uses extreme high
radiosity settings and radio_2 is a bit more CPU-friendly. Changes are that
you'll get some artifacts (strange dark patches) but then, changes are that
you'll get these with radio_3 too :-(

In fact, I dropped down to using radio_1.  I'm not interested in 100% realistic
pics, but I knew that what I was producing could look better.  Thanks for the
advice though.  :)

Please read (my own) post on lighting here:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=1822

I read that.  I think the one thing that still escapes me is the use of the key
light.  Is there some magical way in which you determine the latitude and
longitude for the light?  And its radius etc?

Will download your POV and send you a altered one.

As you will probably see, I was really just shooting in the dark (pardon the
pun) when it came to using the lights.  I would welcome any thoughts and/or
suggestions.  I've tried searching the POV-Ray site, but couldn't find something
as simple as, "here's how to position a single sample light, to give you a
simple sample render."  Their stuff was a bit over my head.

Thanks in advance,
Allan B.