 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 1833
  Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

I've been working at rendering a more realistic version of my little 4-wide fire engine. I've gotten it to look much better than my first attempts, which did not use radiosity and were quite cartoonish. So... here's where I'm at so far: (URL) think (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Have a look at Jeroen's POV Radiosity includes at (URL) It's great, despite the long render times. --Orion (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) I grabbed those files. I started it again with radio-3.inc and only a couple of my original lights. The radio file seems to include an ambient light setting, but by itself this still seemed a bit dark. I also commented out the line that (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Well, just to warn you.. This picture: (URL) Took this long to render: (URL) On rad level 3 with a P4 2.0 GHz with 1MB of DDR333 RAM. Your's shouldn't take nearly that long since it is a much smaller file. (...) Yes they do alter some of the (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) <snipped> (...) Hi Allan, First of all, please do use the radio_2 settings. Radio_3 uses extreme high radiosity settings and radio_2 is a bit more CPU-friendly. Changes are that you'll get some artifacts (strange dark patches) but then, (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) It seemed to be going along well, so I left it overnight. However this morning it appeared to have stopped. The clock on POV-RAY was still running, but the PPS rate was 0. :( (...) I found that file. Do I need to edit it? I've found the spot (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) It's working but very,very slowly. If the POV clock hasn't stopped, then its still rendering. Like I wrote above, it'll take a long time to render on Rad Level 3. Try Rad Level 1 first and then, if you like the way the scene is set up, use (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

In lugnet.cad.ray, Allan Bedford wrote: <snip> (...) I found a much easier way to include these colors Add the following lines after the radiosity include statement. If you don't add them after the radiosity include, the colors will be overrriden by (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Ok, I quickly whipped up an include file for all the LDraw colors in the LUGNET Color Guide library. Find it here: (URL) under the Program Addins Section. It's down at the bottom. (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Ah, O.K. I think I see how this works. You're effectively telling POV-RAY, "here's a color file I want you to use. Now, here's what color you should assign that file to. In other words, when I say RED from now on, I want you to use that LUGNET (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) On your site, you mention the following: The declaration of this file should be made just before the color declares in you POV model file. Based on previous suggestions, I'm now using radio-1.inc for the radiosity settings etc. It includes an (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Yes, you got it exactly <snip> (...) In POV there should be a little drop down list in the upper left. It'll have something like 600x800, A.A. 0.3 displayed. This is where you set the picture size. Also, if there are any +W or +H commands in (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) L3P generates color definitions based on the colors in your model. These are usually towards the top of the file after some declare statements. If you add the line: #include "lugnetcolors.inc" after the rad file include you should be good. If (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) D'oh! I'm such an idiot. I was so busy trying to find it in the code, I didn't even think to look on the interface for it. Thank you so much for saving my sanity! (...) Currently (with no manual intervention from me) it reads: LPub +W800 +H600 (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Actually, as long as you are rendering your file manually in POV, you can delete all of those command line options. There're really only used by LPub with it's generating instruction images and LPub will add them back in automatically. -Orion (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Hi Jeroen, (...) In fact, I dropped down to using radio_1. I'm not interested in 100% realistic pics, but I knew that what I was producing could look better. Thanks for the advice though. :) (...) light. Is there some magical way in which you (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) No magic involved here. Best way is to be inspired by real photos. Take a good look at a picture you like (or where you like the lighting) and try to figure out where the light s coming from and where the camera was placed. A rough guide: (...) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

Hi Allan, You can find pictures of your (lovely!) model here: (URL) (21 years ago, 27-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Sorry to take so long to respond. I don't post from work, and was away all evening. But I did see the work you'd done as soon as it was moderated on Brickshelf. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me understand this process. I will (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) (I don't know how much of this you can affect from LPub) One way is to add a 'light.dat' to your model at a position you want the light to come from. Not to close though... I usually put the lights far, far away from the model, to get more of (...) (21 years ago, 30-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) I'm quite happy/comfortable editing the .pov file directly... it's just the values and directions I'm still trying to get a grip on. (...) Is this different than some of the .inc files that others have already suggested using? And if so, can (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

"Allan Bedford" <ExpertBuilder-DELET...otome.com> skrev i meddelandet news:HHBnzC.uH@lugnet.com... (...) suggested (...) Sorry, I have never used it, just read about it. It is supposed to place a light at exactly at the spot where you put that piece (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) First off... let me say again, a big thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Due to input from each of you I feel as though I've been able to make good progress in the direction of the types of renders I hope to achieve for (...) (21 years ago, 1-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) You got it. (...) (The (...) front (...) parts (...) You might want to check your DAT / LDR file, as it looks like the part is rendered in a transparent-gray instead of a solid gray. (...) vehicle, (...) some (...) realistic (...) This is (...) (21 years ago, 12-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) So.... is there a way to create an invisible floor? One that you don't see (as in it's the same white color as the background) but will allow you to project a shadow of the vehicle? But wait... your renders (which I am trying hard to copy the (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) see (as (...) project a (...) Make a white floor and use the translate commands to move your model away from the seam where the floor and background meet. (...) don't use (...) Nope. A bare floor doesn't do much for me, so I leave it out. (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) I think I'm going to go with that approach as well. I'll try a floor sometime, but once again after the lighting problems are solved. (...) Will do. Thanks! (...) Makes sense. I'll try that. (...) Thanks. :) (...) Of course I did. NOT! Man, (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) This is my latest attempt. I've stopped using the radio_1.inc file. It just seemed to be too difficult to get the lighting right, while using it. Instead, I'm happy to settle for a more 'instruction book' like image. I'm still frustrated with (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) just (...) Here's some things to try: The orthographic camera setting was changed in POV-Ray version 3.5. The command works the same, but it has been moved to the beginning of the camera statement, like this: camera { orthographic #declare PCT (...) (21 years ago, 14-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) So what's the sound of a LEGO builder thumping his head against his computer monitor? You say you don't want to know? Good thing you weren't near my PC when I got home from work today. :) Quick recap: I decided to try one high quality render, (...) (21 years ago, 16-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) I'm not sure if this will help. Try adding this to the end of your light statements; light_source { <360, -98, -20> rgb <0.8, 0.8, 0.8> parallel point_at <0, 0, 0> shadowless } You probably already know that adjusting the rgb values will (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) It did! Thanks for adding another piece to this puzzle. The .8 rgb values weren't quite high enough, but I'm rerendering it now with the values a bit higher. I'll post the results tonight. (...) So, just out of curiousity... where in my (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)

  Re: Can anyone help by suggesting some lighting tips?

(...) Unless L3P shifts everything (which I doubt), pov <0,0,0> is at the same place as LDRAW <0, 0, 0> - probably close to the first brick you added to the model :-) I don't know what LPub does. -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (21 years ago, 17-Jul-03, to lugnet.cad.ray)