Re: LSC Proposal 0.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:20:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs writes:
I personally feel the restriction is a good idea.  However, playing devil's
advocate, I feel obliged to point out that since it would increase my voting
power (since I am eligible as a software author), it's in my best interests
to be in favor of the restriction.

Having said that, I think that if we don't get any strong objections from
the people who would be prevented from voting, it should be left alone.

--Travis Cobbs

I would be one of those who would be prevented from voting (at least this
year), and I don't have a strong objection to not being able to vote.  The
restriction is designed to make the LSC a technical group voted on by
technically involved members.  At the moment, while I've been playing with
LDraw for about 3 years now, I've only started to delve into the technical
side (as a parts author) in the past few months, and am usually discovering
something new every month (skewing primitives was my latest discovery).  I
expect after a year of part authoring, I should have the technical
experience to understand the concerns of the candidates, but until then, I'd
be uncomfortable voting.  Technical experience would be validated by getting
my parts into an official update (Others would have their experience
validated by reviewing parts or by authoring software).

While it's a restriction, it's not difficult to get into the voting body
given enough time.  The restriction is just a protection to ensure that the
LSC is a competent technical body.  I hope others who would not be elgible
to vote have similar views, and would work hard to get into the voting body
in future years.

Also, in other news, Parts Tracker is starting to kick again.  I got an
email today with automatic notices for some new primitives I had submitted
back in April.  PT's still not available to the public, yet, but at least I
know it's alive now and flexing its muscles.

John