Subject:
LSC Proposal 0.99
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 15:52:25 GMT

I think it's time to post the 0.99 draft of the LSC proposal. I've pasted it
below with mo revision marks.

You can see an HTML document _with_ revision marks here:
http://www.ldraw.org/temp/LSC099.html

I think we're 99% of the way there to having a final draft - and if there
are no questions/concerns on this version, I'll bump this up to version 1.0
in a few days.

Thanks to Kevin, Wayne, Paul, Larry, Orion, Dan and all of the others who
have helped shape this document!

-Tim

PS - I attempted to fix some of the line-wrapping issues by previewing this
post via the Web Interface, but it doesn't look like my tweaks to the post
helped in all areas. Sorry about that.

----

======================================
LDraw.org Standards Committee Proposal
======================================

Draft Version 0.99
Written by: Tim Courtney
Contributors: Kevin Clague, Wayne Gramlich, Paul Gyugyi, Larry Pieniazek,
Orion Pobursky, Dan Boger
May 5, 2003

Preface
=======
This document specifies is a proposal for an LDraw Standards Committee,
presented for discussion and suggestions for improvements from the LDraw
community. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

Overview
========
Proposed is a Standards Committee to endorse and shape an Official LDraw.org
file format spec document, consisting of the original LDraw spec (0.2.7)
plus meta-commands developed by various LDraw-compatible LEGO CAD programs.
This group's participants will discuss, vote on, and adopt
community-developed commands as Official LDraw.org standards. The goal of
this body is to foster increased coordination and direction in our common
community effort to develop a better 3D LEGO file format. This proposal is
based on previous industry experience establishing standards bodies.

Background
==========
The LDraw community has existed as a minimally organized group of users,
programmers, and parts authors since James Jessiman's LDraw became widely
used in the mid 1990's. This community originated solely online and
continues to use the internet as it's primary medium of communication. LDraw
standards have until this point only been semi-organized as well, with
individual leaders in file format issues, but no defined processes for
format evolution. This has caused confusion among both newcomers and long
time participants, and the community recognizes the need for a group charged
with adopting official standards and publishing official documentation.

Detail
======

Responsibilities of the Standards Committee
The LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC) will be responsible for maintaining
semi-regular internal discussions on pending file format issues, the overall
progress of the LDraw file format and new or proposed developments made by
different LDraw-based software authors. Initially, this group will be
responsible for developing their own internal procedures on how to process
and vote on proposals and how to write and publish documentation. The
Committee will also be responsible for updating the greater LDraw community
periodically of progress within the group. The Standards Committee will
adopt new official
standards by voting on them, and publish documentation on LDraw.org
following such a decision. The LSC will document past, current and future
LDraw File Formats.

Procedures
~~~~~~~~~~
The procedures shall be determined by the initial membership of the LSC.
Items that shall be attended to are:

- Call for internal discussion on a proposal made internally (by another LSC
member) or externally (by a member of the LDraw Community)
- Request for Final Comments (RFC) from the community before a vote
- Call for a vote to ratify a proposal as standard
- Drafting, reviewing, and publishing spec documents
- Procedure for filling an early vacancy of a member
- Number of votes needed to accept a proposal as a standard
- Appointing sub-committees

Voting
~~~~~~
Each LSC member can cast one (1) vote on any issue brought up within the LSC.

Membership
~~~~~~~~~~
Membership of the LSC shall be limited to 5 people, unless LSC members vote
to create additional vacancies for a future election.

The LSC may also define a procedure for voting to eliminate seats added in
the future. The minimum number of seats on the LSC shall be 5.

Requirements for LSC Membership
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To ensure only competent, dedicated, and active contributors are eligible to
become members of the LSC, they shall have met one or more of the following
requirements for nomination:

- Authored at least two LDraw parts subsequently released in an Official
LDraw.org Parts Update
- Served as a reviewer on the Parts Tracker through at least 2 official
parts updates, and posted at least 5 reviews in at least two updates since
their initial participation
- Authored a software program that is compliant with either the LDraw 0.2.7
spec or another spec published by the LSC
- Petition for nomination as an LSC candidate approved by 2 current LSC members
- Petition for nomination as an LSC candidate made to the LSC by at least 5
others eligible to be LSC candidates

LSC Discussion
members can post to, but the entire community can read. This allows the
community to keep tabs on what is being discussed, and discuss LSC issues in
public forums such as LUGNET's CAD.* groups. The LSC should encourage this
discussion, and should draw ideas and suggestions from non-LSC members in
the community, ensuring everyone's voice is heard. However, the LSC shall be
the only group that votes to ratify a proposal as a standard.

Annual Summary
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The members of the LSC will be responsible for publishing an annual summary
to the community following elections for the next year's term. This document
must be published several weeks before elections, on the first of July of
that year. This summary shall outline the progress of the previous term,
note all versions of the spec ratified during the term, and summarize the
future goals and ideas of the current LSC members.

Determining LSC Membership
==========================
Members of the first LSC will be nominated and voted upon in the same manner
as in subsequent terms, with the exception that the first election shall be
overseen by the ad-hoc LDraw.org organizing committee and subsequent
elections shall be overseen by the then current LDraw.org governing body.

Initial Charter
---------------
The LSC will be chartered under the aegis of the overall LDraw.org.

The ad-hoc committee charged with organizing LDraw.org is responsible for
establishing a system for "LDraw.org Membership" in order to create a
legitimate group of voters. This membership will be open to anyone who wants
to declare themselves a member, provided they own a valid email address.
Information on this membership system will be posted to LDraw.org and
LUGNET. This membership will have the opportunity to ratify future
referendums on LDraw.org as presented by the ad-hoc committee or such
subsequent governing body as shall be determined or developed. The principle
of "one man, one vote" shall apply and any person determined to be using
multiple identities to secure multiple votes shall be banned from further
voting or membership. (We talk about membership/voting and organizational
details because they are necessary to carry out the first vote for LSC
members. Additional organizational details will be developed by the
organizing committee and are not properly the subject of this proposal.)

Terms
-----
Terms on the Standards Committee shall last one year.

The ad-hoc LDraw.org committee will issue the first call for nominations to the
Standards Committee on July 1, 2003. Each subsequent call for nominations
will be issued on the first day of July of that year, and shall be issued by
the then current LDraw.org governing body. Nominations must be received and
recorded by the 15th of July. Elections will be held on the 20th of July.

Elections
~~~~~~~~~
The LDraw.org Members who are eligible for LSC membership and the ad-hoc
organizing committee will vote on the nominees by privately listing the five
(5) nominees they select for the position. Votes will be received and
tallied initially by the ad-hoc committee (and subsequently by a permanent
LDraw.org governing body), who will be accountable to each other and to the
community for accuracy. The 1st LSC will consist of no more than 5 people,
however the LSC will be able to create vacant seats to be filled at a future
election if they wish.

Current LDraw.org leadership will announce the results of the election
within 5 days of the election, on or before July 25.

Inauguration
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elected members of the LSC will take office on August 15. This gives
downtime between elections on July 20th for outgoing members and incoming
members to discuss the published Annual Report and ensure a smooth transition.

Key Dates
=========

Initial Charter
---------------

July 1, 2003    - Call for nominations for 1st LSC
July 20, 2003   - 1st LSC Elections
August 15, 2003 - 1st LSC Members take office

Recurring Dates
---------------
July 1    - Annual Summary published
          - Call for nominations to the LSC
July 15   - All nominations must be received and recorded
July 20   - LSC Elections
On or before July 25 - Ad-hoc organizing committee/permanent LDraw.org
governing body announces election results
August 15 - New LSC Members take office

Glossary
========

Ad-hoc LDraw.org Organizing Committee
-------------------------------------
Jacob Sparre Andersen, Steve Bliss, Tim Courtney, Terry Keller, and
Community Advisor Larry Pieniazek. This group is responsible for forming a
charter organization for LDraw.org. (see:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/org/ldraw/?n=1183)

LDraw.org Membership
Defined, opt-in group of LDraw community participants who will have the
right to vote on resolutions put forward by the LDraw.org Leadership.

LDraw.org Standards Committee (LSC)
Group of 5 parts authors, Parts Tracker reviewers, or LDraw-compatible
software authors elected by peers within the LDraw.org Membership to ratify
and publish the Official LDraw.org File Format Spec.

Re: LSC Proposal 0.99