 Trains / Train Organizations / 2766
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:02:05 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Mark Bellis wrote:
A Ford Transit van is what I would call a medium size van.  Small vans are based
on a car chassis and large ones are as big as you get before a 7.5 tonne lorry.
British traffic law allows car drivers to drive a 3.5 tonne van on a car
licence, with the van hire company providing insurance for the hire period as
part of the deal.  Space inside a long-wheelbase Transit is approximately 9'8"
long, 5'6" wide (less between rear wheels) and 6' high.  the short wheelbase
version is about 7' long in the back.  Both do about 25 MPG on a long run.  The
vans you hire are usually the less-powerful versions and they struggle to do
more than 70mph, except down hills.  Sprinters are more expensive to hire and
are a lot faster, as the name suggests.

I see.  I'm surprised though that you only seem to be considering hired vans.
Don't ordinary citizens own vans or small trucks in the UK?

We transport our tables to shows in the van belonging to one of our members
(Bruce Chamberlain) - a late 1960's era Dodge van.  Russell Clark brings a lot
of stuff in his pickup truck as well.  The rest of the LEGO models are brought
by their owners (or if they can't attend the setup, by another member on their
behalf) in their own cars/trucks/minivans.

Also we don't use modules - just raw tables, which are bolted together, and then
we put on baseplates, track, and MOC's.