 Trains / Train Organizations / 2735
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:31:34 GMT

Hello Thomas,

Thank you for your interesting update on this everlasting point of table standardization.

We are also seriously considering the standardization of tables for multi-participant presentations. Although it seems quite improbable that a Lego show will happen somewhere in the world where we would have to transport our tables overseas (but who really knows...), here are some informations about how we are going to do here for FreeLUG in France. After several discussions we decided to adopt the BeLUG table standard (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=82078) set up by Ludo Soete and based on MichLUG original work. The probability of cross participations between FreeLUG and BeLUG is high and actually already happened :) But we didn’t have tables at that time. You will see that the module dimensions, although converted to metric system, are based on squares of 30x30 inches which is a 96x96 studs virtual baseplate. A one-pieced double table of 30x60 inches can also be considered depending on the size of your car/truck...

Besides this standardization, we are also considering building functional modules with standardized input/output for trains and roads. This does not seem necessary related to table modular size. Of course a correspondance of 1 to 1 is better, but provided you have enough tables to cover the surface of the presentation, you can decide to mix tables and modules freely. One can even imagine that a participant brings tables and some others bring Lego to put on. It’s just like using tables as Lego bricks :)

Then, an important issue seems to be the standardization of table height. What about that? Is there a general agreement on this?

Regards, Philippe “frogleap” Label

In lugnet.trains.org, Thomas Garrison wrote:
   We all know that different LTCs around the world have different sized tables. NILTC uses 40x30, GPLR uses 30x60, IndyLUG uses 40x80, NBLTC uses 25x50, etc. There are previous more general discussions of train tables, e.g. http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=19828&t=i&v=a I’m interested in the pros and cons of table top sizes in particular. I’ve thought about this a bit; I’m curious to see what I missed.

The issues I see are:

LEGO Compatibility

The common baseplate sizes mean that dimensions that are multiples of 5 inches work best. Gray baseplates work best with dimensions that are multiples of 15 inches (unless you are willing to cut baseplates), while roadplates (if you use roadplates) work best with dimensions that are multiples of 10 inches (unless, again, you are willing to cut baseplates). This makes 30x30 and 30x60 the most LEGO-compatible table sizes.