 Trains / Train Organizations / 2761
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:27:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

As a matter of interest, and linked to this subkect, do the US train clubs hold
shows/events where every member turns up with a few modules and scenery straight
from their homes, rather than holding all the tables/lego in one place?

Great question, and one that I might have some insight on, since I am on a
number of different club mailing lists. The answer is "it depends". I would say
that the majority of clubs do not practice setup in advance but just turn up on
the day. There may have been varying amounts of preplanning, some clubs just
wing it, others have a rough idea, and some clubs plan quite elaborately, down
to the baseplate level.

The tables are usually kept in a storage unit or at the home of one or a few
members.

Most clubs, with the singular exception of GMLTC, do not have modules, or at
least do not have modules for MOST of their layout ("drop sections" excepted, at
least NGLTC, rtlT, and MichLTC have done drop sections with some modular
aspects) but rather just do baseplates and buildings.

Essentially, if you do the former, the module size:Average car capacity is more
critical.

http://www.nbltc.org/images/gallery/module/ferrari.jpg

hehehe.

In the UK, it's only Mark Bellis and his 8mm/ft scale railway which regularly
does the exhibition circuit. There are many reasons why the rest of us target
specific and exclusive venues but I suspect that it's easier to plan an
exhibition when you are dealing with one builder, one layout to a specific size
and that you've seen it in operation before. Mark falls into this category but
the NBLTC modular layouts do not as every layout for every show has been a
different shape and size with a variance in contributors.

That is typically the case for MichLTC layouts as well, unless we didn't have
time to plan and ended up using the same track plan from a show that worked well
before.

I note that the 'stored' lego layouts tend to remain the same for each show, or
at least the individual modules remain largely unchanged, if not the
arrangement. For pain or pleasure, our collaborative efforts have required
custome built scenery nearly every time.

Yes. But I think you guys may be working too hard, not sure.