 Trains / Train Organizations / 2744
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:42:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Thomas Garrison wrote:
We all know that different LTCs around the world have different sized
tables.  NILTC uses 40x30, GPLR uses 30x60, IndyLUG uses 40x80, NBLTC uses
25x50,  etc.  There are previous more general discussions of train tables,
e.g.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=19828&t=i&v=a
I'm interested in the pros and cons of table top sizes in particular.
I've thought about this a bit; I'm curious to see what I missed.

The issues I see are:

The NBLTC has adopted a modular approach using 80 studs wide x 160 studs long
standard table (module) size. This works for us but the overall design allows
for a multitude of arrangements and optional sizes within the modular concept.

Cost
----

Timber prices are generally higher in the UK than the US. We find all sorts of
ingenious ways of using the offcuts from a 8ft x 4ft sheet of MDF, including
backscenes, additional 'shelf' modules and triangular leg brackets

Transport
---------

Based on measurements (but not testing), a Buick Skylark or other smallish
car could accommodate 20x40 tables on the back seat, stacked up with space
for boxes.  30x60 tables would be much harder to fit, and would be at an
angle that would leave little space for boxes.  Basically, if members must
transport their own tables, smaller tables can fit in more vehicles.  If
someone trades in his van for a compact, he may not be able to get his
tables to shows.  A geographically close (or close-knit) club can
alleviate this by having members with vans and trucks collect and
transport tables.  If the club owns a trailer and tables are club-owned,
transport problems go away (provided someone can tow the trailer. . .) and
the only limit on table size is the size of the trailer.

We anted to avoid hiring expensive trailers and therefore designed the modules
to fit even the smaller european cars like the Vauxhall (GM) Corsa. The larger
cars, like a Ford Mondeo, will allow the modules to be placed across the  back
seats

Handling
--------

I'm no he-man, but I have no trouble picking up, carrying, and setting up
a 30x60 table.

Ply is lighter but MDF is abetter material to avoid splinters. Most of us use
timber (nominal 1" x 3") for the framing.

This is especially acute during setup and teardown, when the tables must
be tied to each other (usually with bolts).  More tables leads directly to
more work.

Our modules feature bolts which , if you imagine each module as a 2x4 brick,
line up with the centre line of the imaginary studs. This allows the modules to
be placed in all sorts of arrangements and the same holes are used to attach the
legs.

Doors and elevators have special handling issues.  Residential doorways
tend to be a bit less than 30 inches wide.  Commercial facilities tend to
have doorways that are a bit more than 30 inches wide.  Elevators are
almost always wider still.  If a model needs to be transported flat on a
table, it needs to be able to get out of the LEGO room and into display
facilities.  Of more import to most people: tables can only be transported
on a dolly if they will fit through building and elevator doors.

A very important point. We decided on 80 stud width (approx 25" but actually
built to 638mm) for this very reason. For most of the time though, these are
manhandled through doorways without any scenery fixed to them so it's only
really of benefit on the few times we've moved large chunks of scenery (hills)
in one piece and had to keep the module upright.

LEGO Compatibility
------------------

The common baseplate sizes mean that dimensions that are multiples of 5
inches work best.  Gray baseplates work best with dimensions that are
multiples of 15 inches (unless you are willing to cut baseplates), while
roadplates (if you use roadplates) work best with dimensions that are
multiples of 10 inches (unless, again, you are willing to cut baseplates).
This makes 30x30 and 30x60 the most LEGO-compatible table sizes.

The '25 x 50' option (actually 638mm x 1227mm allowing for tolerance) equates to
5 tracks wide x 10 tracks long. For baseplates we use 48x48 in whole and also
part weher we need a grey fill-in piece. In some cases a 32x32 stud road plate
can be placed bhind the 48x48 plate to match perfectly. One member. Mark Palmer,
even cut up a baseplate to match a curved corner module..

Flexibility
-----------

Rearrangement of tables into new configurations is challenging unless the
tables are square or rectangular with lengths double or triple their
widths.  The only club of which I know that does not use such tables uses
modules with predefined fronts, so they're not meant to be rearranged
anyway.

It can be convenient to drop or raise a table a few inches.  That is easy
when it's small.  When the basic table size is large, half-size modules
may be employed.  This gets complicated if the basic module is 25, 35, or
45 inches on a side.

As explained above, the geometry of the modules allows for assembly just like a
set of 2x4 bricks. In addition to the whole modules we also use shelves in two
widths, 32 studs & 48 studs. These allow the visual depth to be increased and in
the case of the 32 wide shelf, no additonal legs are required in most
arrangements.

The 10mm holes along the sides and ends are common to the following purposes and
ensure little additional woodworki skill is required - an important point when
you are trying to encourage everyone to have a go.
Fixing adjoining modules
Fixing legs to modules
Fixing curtain rail to front edge
Fixing backscene to rear edge
Fixing controller shelf to rear edge

The biggest pain in the butt is the legs though. There is nothing more
depressing than trying to fit 30+ legs with triangular bracing wings at 90
degrees to each other into the back of your car. Thought of broken windscreens
under heavy braking or worse come to mind and it's hard to to fit these awkward
shapes in to the car first. The next step is a system of hinged legs which close
and store inside the line of the frames.

As for height, we use a table top height of 900mm - about 3ft. This is
admittadly too high for young families but it was intended to prolong the health
of our backs!

Jon Reynolds