 Trains / Train Organizations / 2738
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:26:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Thomas Garrison wrote:
We all know that different LTCs around the world have different sized
tables.  NILTC uses 40x30, GPLR uses 30x60, IndyLUG uses 40x80, NBLTC uses
25x50,  etc.  There are previous more general discussions of train tables,
e.g.
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=19828&t=i&v=a
I'm interested in the pros and cons of table top sizes in particular.
I've thought about this a bit; I'm curious to see what I missed.

It can be convenient to drop or raise a table a few inches.  That is easy
when it's small.  When the basic table size is large, half-size modules
may be employed.  This gets complicated if the basic module is 25, 35, or
45 inches on a side.

That's exactly what we've done:  Use smaller modules, always.

The standard in rtlToronto is 30.25x30.25", using the PNLTC standard.  We use
exclusively what I think they call a "half module", except its our regular size.
Our "half" is actually a "quarter":  Some members have made 30.25"x15.125"
modules for greater flexibility.

The legs are our own design, which fit two modules on top.  They are about
30x60".  We found that we needed to bring our own legs because each venue either
couldn't always provide tables or tables with exactly the same height.  As a
result, each leg set has 12 bolts and nut pairs which allow 12 points of
adjustment (one on each leg, one on each corner of two modules up top) to
accomodate uneven floors and variances in our own module top construction.

You can see the legs here:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-070503/lego-070503-setup4.jpg

In addition, we use PNLTC style single legs to prop up where we have an extra
module outside of the rtlToronto double module supports.

Creative use of "half" (PNLTC quarter) and the leg support beams allow for doing
cool stuff like JeffVW's dam/valley module:

http://sparky.i989.net/images/hobbyshow0411/P012412.jpg

Transport
---------

Based on measurements (but not testing), a Buick Skylark or other smallish
car could accommodate 20x40 tables on the back seat, stacked up with space

The 30.25"x30.25" fits nicely and is a lot more flexible than 30x60.  Most
members move the tables alone and keep their scenery sectioned and kept in
photocopier paper boxes or Rubbermaid tubs, assembling the table and placing
their structures afterwards.

I think I'm the only one in the group who brings everything already on the
table.  Either way, the small 30.25"x30.25" is easier to position in a vehicle.

One fully loaded layout module with landscaping, terrain and buildings can fit
in the back of my Accord with space for two 3033 tubs on each side!  I like this
because I don't need to fold down any seats.  For example, the mountain module I
put in my trunk three weeks ago is still in there, just because I haven't
bothered to take it out of my car.  Yet I can still drive with my coworkers to
lunch!

Handling
--------

I'm no he-man, but I have no trouble picking up, carrying, and setting up
a 30x60 table.  Carrying a 40x80 table I find much easier with a helper.

You can easily carry two 30.25" modules, one in each hand.  It's also easier to
navigate them through doors, around corners, into vehicles, onto the ground.  A
single person can move a 30.25" with stuff ontop alone.

This is especially acute during setup and teardown, when the tables must
be tied to each other (usually with bolts).  More tables leads directly to
more work.

Yeah, this is a problem with the smaller table.  You do need to work on bolting
them together, and the more modules, the greater increase in error between each.
The levellers on our legs help, but this is an ongoing problem in our group.

Calum