 Trains / Train Organizations / 2743
Re: Discussion of Train Table Sizes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:18:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, William R. Ward wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org, Kevin Salm wrote:
I have always been incredibly impressed by SCLTC tables.  Heck, I am always
impressed by SCLTC layouts, too.  All custom-built tables are impressive to
some degree.

Here at LUCNY, us crazy New Yorkers discuss building our own tables
regularly,
but always decide against doing so.  Instead, we just buy poly-resin 6-foot
banquet tables from retailers such as Lowes or Office Max.  Whenever
possible,
we use venue-provided tables and deal with the challenges and problems they
may present.  When setting up tables for a show, we can typically have all
of our tables setup and in place within minutes.  No bolts and wrenches
required.

We thought about that too, but decided we had to build custom tables or they
might spread apart, causing derailments.  How do you keep them together?  Do
you clamp them or something?

We don't do anything to secure the tables.
We just position the tables where we want them and that is all.  So far, we have
never had a problem.  If the tables move a little bit, we just give them a shove
back in place.

A few small table gaps here and there are nothing to worry about, IMO.  What
does bother me sometimes is how it can be difficult to get the tables setup
exactly square.  Despite best efforts, we always seem to be out of alignment
somewhere which is why our baseplates do not always match up perfectly.

Kevin Salm
LUCNY
www.lucny.org