 Trains / 28159
28158  |  28160
Subject:
First MOC after quite a while of frustration...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:38:05 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi train fans,

the possible(?) end of 9V trains, the blay desaster and the too high demands of myself against my MOCs have lead to a kind of frustration in my hobby. Due to all this and more, I lost a lot of the fun that LEGO meant to me in the past, but nevertheless here comes a new MOC of mine.

This engine has been introduced in 1919 for the Prussian railway (named as P10 at that time) but most engines made it into the later national railway company “Deutsche Reichsbahn” - then numbered as type Baureihe 39 (BR39).

It has 1620 horsepower and a weight of 162 tons. It made a maximum speed of 110 km/h. 260 engines have been ordered and the last of them went out of duty in the seventies, with the general end of the steam traction. Most engines have been in use to pull passenger trains.

The engine is not my personal masterpiece, but still it features a few new inventions and building tricks.

The boiler is wider than usual:

The BBB-wheels (thanks to Ben Fleskes!!) are grouped 4+4 with a gearwheel connecting both groups to synchronize them. The two short connecting rods look (nearly) like one when they are in motion.

The tender includes lots of SNOT techniques to show rounded corners and even “rivets” on the sides. Personally I like the trucks underneath most. These look very lightweighted like the real ones do (most oldfashioned designs look like that and I tried to catch that impression). The slim red line (all tiles!) beneath the boxy main part of the tender was quite tricky to attach as well.

And the detail which cost most time to build (because I built at least 10 different desigs before it seemed to be ok), were the smoke leading plates. Their bottom line clearly needed SNOT tecchnique, since that is a angle of slightly less than 45°. But on the top end, there are quarter circles needed to give the rounded effect. It took hours and hours till I found a solution I could accept myself.....

So here is the full engine again from the other side:

The full gallery is to be found here when moderated. The MPD-File for the engine is available as well as some pictures of the building process and the brick built model.

Hope you enjoy + Leg Godt!

See more pictures of my models at www.brickshelf.com