 Trains / 28158
Re: Reed Switches was Re: Has Babylon Fallen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 19:43:02 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Lawrence Livesey wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Elroy Davis wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi wrote:
   You know, it was always fun talking with you at the events, but I have got to admit, I really miss those crossing gates that you have. Those things are AWESOME.
Oh yeah! I remember seeing those at a show before I joined NELUG. I went out that day and bought some reed switches. The next day I spent a few hours burning my fingers and melting the things together. I never did get them to work properly.
The reed switch sensors are a bit tricky. There’s not much room to work with, so you’ve gotta use pretty small switches.

Miniatronics makes nice reed switches that seems to work well.

Good link!

   And they are very easy to break, basically being tiny glass tubes. (About half of my sensors no longer work.)
Yes, you have to grab the lead in wire up close to the glass envelope with a pair of needle nose pliers, and, while holding the pliers you bend the wire.

I don’t bend the leads on the reed switches at all. I use very small reeds, maybe 1 cm in length, solder directly to the straight leads, and then carefully trim them shorter. (Trimming is optional.) The switch is then sandwiched between a 2x2 plate and a 2x4 plate that have been modified with a dremel tool. The result is a very flat sensor that will not interfere with the underside of a passing train. In fact, there is usually enough clearance to “dress up” the top of the sensor with a pair of 2x2 or 1x4 tiles, if desired. Even though this operation is Evil on many levels, the end result looks like a pure-LEGO solution to the untrained eye.

The way I’ve broken switches is by applying too much pressure to the sensor housing when placing them on the track. A small amount of flex will break the glass. Sometimes a cracked or broken reed will work intermittently, so it can be frustrating to diagnose.

I know that some of the custom MindStorms sensor guys are keen on using hall-effect devices as train sensors, but these are active electronics (basically a magnetically-sensitive transistor) so you need to add the six-diode rectifier circuit, etc. This would probably be more durable, but makes for a much more complex project.