 General / 53129
Re: Has Babylon Fallen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 18:50:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
Once there was a place whose inhabitants all spoke a common language.  As a
unified community, their combined strength gave them such confidence that they
challenged God Himself.  They lost, and were scattered to the four corners of
the earth, no longer able to understand what each other were saying.

And they spread throughout the world.  With new lands to fill their populations
grew.  Facing new challenges as they lived in new environments, they had to
learn to innovate.  Finding new resources, they enriched themselves.  As the new
societies grew up, they started to trade with eachother, sharing their new
knowledge and riches to the betterment of all.

And the emergence of other, more
specialized LEGO discussion boards has certainly drained the pool, I am sure.

Yep.  Over the past couple of years there have been many other forums that have
grown up, focusing on speciallized themes or regions of the world.  A few of
these include: <www.fbtb.net> (this has actually been around for quite a while),
<www.classic-castle.com>, <www.classic-space.com>, <www.mechahub.org>,
<www.eurobricks.com>, <www.minifigcustomizationnetwork.com/> etc etc etc.  Much
of the discussion that was previously held on Lugnet has spun off into
speciallized forums.  There has been a lot of debate on the wisdom of this in
the past between those who wish that all LEGO discussion was in one place for
easy access and those who feel that a variety of forums increases creativity and
helps grow the community.  Personally I'm in the latter camp, but then I'm an
admin on classic-castle and could probably be dismissed as an interested party.

In addition to theme-specific forums, there have been other developments as
well.  Blogging is certainly a growing phenomenon in all areas of on-line life
over the past few years, and the LEGO corner of the net is no exception, with an
explosion of new LEGO-related blogs.  Also, <http://www.flickr.com> is starting
to replace Brickshelf for some people as their image-sharing-site of choice.
One advantage of Flickr is the ability to post comments to images, create
discussion groups, directly contact the builder, etc, so some discussion has
spun over there.  I think there are more festivals than there were in the past,
so people are meeting up face-to-face more than they were before.  Also there
are things like podcasts, the BrickJournal
<http://www.lugnet.com/~1495/brickjournal>, and the AFOL comic
<http://www.legofan.org/DotNetNuke/Articles/TheAFOLComic/tabid/163/Default.aspx>
to further publicise the hobby.

Is anyone still out there???

Yes.  If anything, the hobby is much bigger than it was a few years ago.
However, it's not all neatly packaged in one site for easy consumption - or, to
put it with a different spin, it's not confined to one restricted space, but has
rather grown and evolved.

Bruce - still a Lugnet fan, but also a fan of growth