 General / 53132
Re: Has Babylon Fallen?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:06:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
   -snip- Am I the only one who feels this way? Hello?? Is anyone still out there???

Well, there seems to be a few of us still here….

I think if nothing else keeps LUGNET (tm) going, it will be people complaining that LUGNET is in decline/has failed/has jumped the shark or whatever.

I think LUGNET has come a long way in the last year or so. Despite doom and gloom posts predicting that the German ‘takeover’ had failed (and even that the oweners would ask the Albanians next!), I think things are going well. There is a steady stream of MOCs, and through the encouragement and guidance of community members such as Tim Gould, people are more and more commenting on MOCs. Rene and co are taking an active part in the community and the development of the site, no one may be donning an admin’s hat and wielding a big admin stick, but then again, there seems no cause to use one.

LUGNET is, as are so many things, what we make of them. We cannot simply lament that things are not the same as they once were and expect them to magically change back to what they once were, just like we can’t complain about what is featured in ‘spotlight’ and expect what is featured to change without us taking action. LUGNET is a community (albeit part of a wider community), if we want it to change, we have to change it.

You (and this is the generic ‘you’) want more MOCs? Make more MOCs. You want better things spotlighted? Spotlight better things (or even post better things to spotlight). You want more feedback on MOCs? Post more feedback on MOCs. You want someone posting like lar used to? Post like lar used to.

You (and this is the partular ‘you’) may ask “Has Babylon fallen?” Possibly, but if it has, I ask this: what are you going to do to rebuild it?

Cheers

Richie Dulin