 Trains / 28186
Re: First MOC after quite a while of frustration...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2006 10:53:20 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   P.s.: ALL German steam engines 1920...1970 have been black and red. Only in war times some had camuflage colours. So I will probably stay at this colours.

Just engines before WW1 offer some colours like green and blue. And some prototypes and private owned where coloured differently as well. I could of course try some engines of the European neighbours one day.... There are some really nice engine designs in Czechia.

I know - I’m lucky that British engines came in a huge variety of colours, thanks to all the different railway companies over the years - for example, some trains are even black at the bottom and red on top! Can you imagine? ;-)

I find it funny that the part of the train that collects the most dirt is painted bright red on german trains, and the top, that everyone sees, is black.

Several British trains had the spokes of the wheels painted to match the body colour, or maybe the sides of the soleplate were painted, but the underside was never a bright colour.

I notice the Germans are very proud of their engineering, and always want to show off the moving parts. In München, I remember the escalators in the station were all glass so you could see the mechanism working underneath. You don’t get this anywhere else.

The British trains also hide a lot of the valves and pipework inside the smooth lines of the body, unlike German trains that sometimes seem to have been built inside-out. It does make them easier to model.

Jason R