 Trains / 28183
Re: First MOC after quite a while of frustration...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:07:04 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard “Ben” Beneke wrote:
   Hi train fans,

the possible(?) end of 9V trains, the blay desaster and the too high demands of myself against my MOCs have lead to a kind of frustration in my hobby. Due to all this and more, I lost a lot of the fun that LEGO meant to me in the past, but nevertheless here comes a new MOC of mine.

Ben -

It’s nice to see another lovely engine from you again. This seems to be one of your most detailed yet. And it’s something of a relief to see some steam trains on lugnet.

I like the boiler design - I like how you don’t compromise if there’s a specific look you want, however much extra work it takes. The same with using all rimmed wheels - the use of the rounded bevel gears to synchronise the jointed wheel blocks instead of using a longitudinal driveshaft is very clever.

I also notice you’ve kept the width down on this engine (particularly the cylinders), such that it could (almost) scrape through an 8-wide gap. It makes for a much more sleek-looking model.

And I love the foggy renders. They’re great.

I notice you said you scale the model based on the wheel spacing. I always start with the wheelbase to determine the size too, though I’ve never tried to use a scaled drawing for my designs.

But black and red again? I know you don’t trust some Lego colours any more, but there must be other coloured steam engines from your part of the world... ;-)

Jason R