 Trains / 28182
Re: First MOC after quite a while of frustration...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 10:27:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mattias Martensson wrote:
In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke wrote:

I specially like the great renderings of your models. In some cases they look
better then the photos of the real (lego) variants. Do you need a very
powerful PC to create those pictures?

Thanks for another great steam engine. I have just ordered some red minifig
handlebars before all are sold out after you mentioned them as so useful for
trains.

Regards from Goteborg

Dear Mattias,

I heard from several former "top builders" around that their demand on their own
creations is the biggest hurdle on the way to new MOCs. As Germans we have of
course come up with an negative expression for that. Maybe "Bauunlust" makes it
even over the language barrier into the Lugnet (best translated as something
like "no mood to build")?

On topic of the Pov-Ray renderings there are two types: the ones on the mirror
and the ones with lots of scenery. The first ones are utterly fast: usually not
more than 5 Minutes on my 3 GHz computer and 20 Minutes on a 5 years old system.

I use one set of lights and have added a few command lines into the code to
rotate the object instead of moving lights and cameras. I do not use radiosity
in 95% of my renderings, because this slows down everything very much. With good
light settings you can achieve nearly the same.
But I use Jeroens colour definitions, which are way better than standard.

For huge szeneries like now done with the switchtower etc. you need lots of RAM
and much more time to render. The big szenery in bright light took more than 3
GB RAM (of course most of that is virtual RAM). And then it needed more than 5
hours to render (but in size 2048x1536).

Less light sources were used for the foggy scenes and this lead to less use of
RAM and faster renderings (40 Minutes for 1024x768 pixel).

The slowes rendering I ever did is the BR24 picture in the train gallery: that
took more than 1 week for 1024x768 - the picture included high quality radiosity
settings.

The fastest renderings are done in less than 40 seconds (in 640x480). I did
thousands of renderings of the WW1 airplanes. I used the animation settings of
POV Ray and have programmed loopings, starts of the Fokker and some (so far very
lame!) airfights between Fokker and Sopwith. I plan to do more but that is very
time consuming and ending in "extremely" big file sizes when combined to a
movie. So there are not more than two movies online so far (both dealing with
the BR23 in motion).

In this gallery:

And here another one (the first ever):
http://festum.de/1000steine/myimages/Brickfilme_by_ben

So speaking about the WWI models, I have not built further one than the two
biplanes which are known to you.

But I would love to do more stuff. Maybe some MARK 5 tank (Eric Brok did one
ages ago). But war stuff is not my favorite theme. I just came along a picture
of the fokker and wondered how small these were. So I had to do one in 1:40 (3
studs = 1 meter) just to find out, how those would look against the Ju52, which
has been done in the same size.

So I leaned that LEGO will never bring out a Ju52 that fits to Sopwith and red
baron.

LEG GODT!

Ben