 Trains / 19850
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:44:17 GMT

I think it depends alot on what slant your train club takes.  The train
clubs that are all about the prototypical designs I think have more
emotionally invested in their designs and display mainly for other train
modelers.

Since I can't even begin to tell you what is prototypical and what isn't.
(and don't care to learn either)  I don't really care as much if kids touch.
I kind of like that they do.  I like that when their parents tell them it's
time to go, they throw fits.  I like that they race from one end of the
layout to another to follow the subways.  I like that they are constantly
trying to pull their parents down to their level to show them the things we
have buried in the layout.  I like that they insist that their parents pick
them up when I pull the roof off of the train station.  Hell, I like their
reaction when I don't flip out when they cause those five car wrecks.

In general I don't really think there is that much to worry about.  We
haven't lost more than a small handfull of pieces in a very long time of
displaying models.  We lose more to the sun's effects than because of the
kids.  I am inclined to think that is because we have a modular layout and
it is harder to destory it, no baseplates to move.

If you have a smaller show that you can watch the layout to the extend that
you feel comfortable, try taking down the barriers.  I find it much more
rewarding.

On the table subject.  Ours are now a metal frame with plywood.  Expensive,
heavy and generally probably not of interest to anyone else except that guy
who's got the 250lb section.

Thanks

-j3