 Trains / Train Organizations / 2307
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:58:36 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Kelly III writes:

I'm not trying to minimize anyone's investment in time, material, or
emotional in their layouts.  My generalization (and it definitely is that)
is that the closer a model is to prototypical, the more fragile details it
has, the more "perfect" it is, the more the person who built it is nervous
about having some break it.

True.

If it's a oneoff, that is...

I hardly ever display oneoffs, most of what I display is either commercial
production work (mine from MTW, or others), or one of multiple copies, or if
I really care, I capture it in LDraw. My bullet train is a one off that's
taken floor excursions many times but it's recorded in LDraw (and mirrored,
except for the center car and usually only the first few cars go down) so I
don't sweat it.

It blows up on impact quite spectacularly too, I might add. The nose
shatters and sprays pieces all over the place! :-)

A hard and fast rule?  You are correct,
absolutely not.  *grin*  No offense intended if taken.

Your basic point that we all have emotional investment in our stuff is well
put and well taken.

But I think this is where we shine against the modulars... even if we forget
EXACTLY how to rebuild something, it *can* be rebuilt. and maybe forgetting
is a good thing, forces you to rethink the problem. Might be better the
second time!

I just don't see that more or less prototypical has much bearing on this.