 Trains / 19866
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 18:15:06 GMT

With the NGLTC kids area we too removed the train elements from the play
tables. When we had the train parts on the table there was always some
bigger kid that would hog the engine and controller, then we'd have send
someone over to police the situation. So now we have split the area up into
system bricks and and Duplo, and let the kids have at.

No one ever complained about the missing train stuff and rarely do we have
any issues at the play area. I do wonder over and pick up any stray bricks
that snuck past the gutter system and put them back on the table.

jt

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Good points John. I recall the first time I got KRR duty and I nearly pulled
my hair out! And that same reaction came from most of us. I think we were a
little (read REALLY) uptight that the trains elements might get broken etc.
But after a while we learned to relax and remembered that LEGO trains are
designed for kids and can take the normal abuse. :) And LEGO Consumer
Affairs would replace broken motors.

We found that for the most part the KRR is self monitoring with all the
parents around and don't assign anyone to KRR duty anymore. Occasionally
we'd notice that there are some dominating kids etc, and might say something.

At really big shows like the recent OCC one we actually had the play area in
an adjacent room with 3 OCC volunteers minding it. Unfortuaately we didn't
have any train elements there either, but the kids didn't seem to mind at all.

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, John Gerlach writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:
Having crowd control and allowing for the kids to
play is a good way to go.

SteveB

We'd *love* to be able to do that, but unfortunately our membership is
limited to the point where we just don't get enough people to staff and
oversee a 'play area'.  <sigh>

Since many of us are current or former LEGO employees, we take the idea of a
'play area' *very* seriously.  We don't want kids getting hurt with our bricks!

Oh well, we keep hoping someday we'll have a building space big enough that
we can bring in several more club members.  Squeezing four or five builders
in Conan's basement at one time is pretty much the limit.

I mean, we like each other, but not THAT much...  <grin>

JohnG, GMLTC