 Trains / 19851
Re: Train Layout Tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 15:57:45 GMT

I've been bouncing table designs around for a while and two criteria seem to
emerging in my mind as more important than I've previously given weight to.

1) Durability.

and

2) The ability to adjust height

On Durability.

My first tables are over six years old now and held up relativily well.
I've retrofitted them with fold down legs (good decision).  But I'm not
entirely happy with the finish.  The paint wears quickly and the wood has
several dings.  In many cases the table is covered with baseplates or bricks
and such and you don't see the top surface - But you do see the side - which
tends to get the most wear.  About two years ago I built two new tables of
similar design but made them entirely out of 1/2" 9 ply birch plywood (ie,
very high grade plywood ~$40 per 4'x8' sheet).  They weigh about twice as
much as the older style but are much stiffer and stronger.  The wood is so
strong we can't even put in a push pin to hold up the skirting.

So I'm thinking of ways to make the table more durable and increase the
asthetic.  I've thought about laminating the tops, but the corners would
chip pretty quickly.  So I'm currently thinking of ways to surface the top
and sides that would make it more durable.  One option is to make the table
that is the same color through.  For example gray PVC sheet.  But PVC has
some environmental risks, I prefer to avoid.

Whatever I might come up with, it still needs to work well with barriers and
skirting on the side.

Regarding height adjustment.

I've had a chance to see what SCLTC have done with their tables and really
like the ease at which they can stack tables and have tables at multiple
heights.  One thing I'm thinking might be useful is to have adjustable feet
on the end of the legs.

Regarding a discussion, I'm happy to share whatever I come up with in
whatever forum people want to listen.  The one thing that is sure, the depth
and range of experience that exists today in the LEGO train community is a
huge asset in refining table designs.  However, I think it is important to
keep in mind the skill level of the people involved in building the tables.
I specifically designed tables as a standard that pretty much anyone could
build with just some simply wood working skills and very basic tools with
readily available materials.

In future designs, I expect to go with more precision and more advanced
materials.  For example, I'm considering cardboard honeycomb and thin grade
colored plastic adhesive for coloring.

Finally, yes, it is true, the size of my honda was a criteria for deciding
what size modules to build.  And I'm not getting a new car right now so I
don't expect to vary the size of the modules I build.

Ben Fleskes
PNLTC

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile writes:

There are many considerations in building modules: cost,
complelity/difficulty of construction, ease of setup, size, transportation,
attaching of skirting, plexi-bariers, wire routing etc...

SteveB
PNLTC

*Folklure has it that the ski/bike rack ontop of Ben Fleskes' Honda helped
determined the PNLTC module size.