 Trains / 19842
Re: Train Layout Tables
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:05:21 GMT

Steven Barile wrote:

It would be nice to have a single document that captures the different
techniques that various clubs have used for modules. And with that
acompaniing pros & cons list by the clubs that use each respective
technique. This would be handy for new clubs that are making this decision.
As new clubs come online module design should hopefully evolve. PNLTC is
continuelly looking for new and inovative modeule design (since Ben is
thinking about buying a new car*).

There are many considerations in building modules: cost,
complelity/difficulty of construction, ease of setup, size, transportation,
attaching of skirting, plexi-bariers, wire routing etc...

Right.  The reason why I suggested .trains.presentation.hardware is that .trains
can get pretty busy, and it would be nice to slightly compartmentalize while
fleshing things out.  Once all data had been gathered/discussed, I definitely see
it being built as a doc on the ILTCO site.

The reason for .trains.presentation should be pretty clear - there's TONS of
presentation tips that would be nice to drop into a subgroup, even if people just
CCed the group from time to time.

And .hardware could also discuss more controversial presentation bits - ropes,
sneezeguards, or <shudder> nothing to hold back the mobs.

SteveB
PNLTC

*Folklure has it that the ski/bike rack ontop of Ben Fleskes' Honda helped
determined the PNLTC module size.

In lugnet.trains, Tim Courtney writes:
Is anyone interested in a newsgroup to discuss creating tables for layouts?
Tom Stangl and I had a conversation about it the other day, and were
interested in seeing open discussion between clubs on how everyone builds
tables. This could help disseminate best known methods people have
discovered, and also inform others of how _not_ to make tables. It could
also be of help when clubs try to link up for joint shows.

Thoughts?

Tom thought of the newsgroup lugnet.trains.presentation.hardware. He
suggests lugnet.trains.presentation.* could have other subgroups which cover
other topics related to putting on shows.

Perhaps this is better for lugnet.trains.org?

-Tim

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/