 Trains / 19863
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:39:18 GMT

Since our first show at GATS we have had a kids RR (KRR) play area attached
to the main layout so they feel a part of it. We hated that when you'd go to
a GATS you couldn't touch anything, even if your an adult in some cases! At
the KRR there is train track, speed limited controllers, built up flat bed
cars, and a ton of loose brick. The kids love to get their hands on the
brick and experience building and running their own train MOCs first hand.

The parents love the play area because it provides a *known* location where
the kids can touch and if they are a bit destructive it's OK. It's great to
see the kids making ramps with the train track and jumping train motors Evil
Knevil (sp?) style with minifigs holding a lance with their foot stuck on to
the motor's bogie pin! Having crowd control and allowing for the kids to
play is a good way to go.

SteveB

In lugnet.trains, John Kelly III writes:
I think it depends alot on what slant your train club takes.  The train
clubs that are all about the prototypical designs I think have more
emotionally invested in their designs and display mainly for other train
modelers.

Since I can't even begin to tell you what is prototypical and what isn't.
(and don't care to learn either)  I don't really care as much if kids touch.
I kind of like that they do.  I like that when their parents tell them it's
time to go, they throw fits.  I like that they race from one end of the
layout to another to follow the subways.  I like that they are constantly
trying to pull their parents down to their level to show them the things we
have buried in the layout.  I like that they insist that their parents pick
them up when I pull the roof off of the train station.  Hell, I like their
reaction when I don't flip out when they cause those five car wrecks.

In general I don't really think there is that much to worry about.  We
haven't lost more than a small handfull of pieces in a very long time of
displaying models.  We lose more to the sun's effects than because of the
kids.  I am inclined to think that is because we have a modular layout and
it is harder to destory it, no baseplates to move.

If you have a smaller show that you can watch the layout to the extend that
you feel comfortable, try taking down the barriers.  I find it much more
rewarding.

On the table subject.  Ours are now a metal frame with plywood.  Expensive,
heavy and generally probably not of interest to anyone else except that guy
who's got the 250lb section.

Thanks

-j3