 Trains / Train Organizations / 2312
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:07:03 GMT

I don't worry so much about getting it back together as much as I worry
about finding all the pieces again. Nothing worst than having to crawl
around the floor of a crowded convention center looking for pieces.

I prefer to be able to relax and enjoy talking with the crowd than having to
keep an eye out for little hands about to derail a train. So I think I'll
keep the glass up. If they want to touch then the play area is wide open for
them.

One of the funny things at a show once was that some of the kids had taken
the minifigs off the play table and started putting them on the other train
layouts at the show, so by the end of the day there was a minifig on each of
the different scale layouts in various spots, I think we got most of them back.

jt

In lugnet.trains.org, James Powell writes:

It blows up on impact quite spectacularly too, I might add. The nose
shatters and sprays pieces all over the place! :-)

ohh!  I need one that explodes on contact...but it has to do it in a head on
collision, and be easy to put back together after.

But I think this is where we shine against the modulars... even if we forget
EXACTLY how to rebuild something, it *can* be rebuilt. and maybe forgetting
is a good thing, forces you to rethink the problem. Might be better the
second time!

I just don't see that more or less prototypical has much bearing on this.

There are some of my designs that I don't like to see smashing into the floor,
but most of my stuff has been deconstructed a time or two by accident.  I
haven't yet broke anything permanantly, but the day will come.

Some of my more prototypical engines are easier to figure out than the less
prototypical ones, because I have only thought of one way to do something,
whereas a freelanced loco might be done that way, or another...the set locos
are quite good for that too.

(for example the F unit (via) is fairly easy for me to figure out how it goes
back together, because it is mostly (90%) SNOT)

James P