 Trains / 19846
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:49:17 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Thomas Stangl writes:
<snip1>
And .hardware could also discuss more controversial presentation bits - ropes,
sneezeguards, or <shudder> nothing to hold back the mobs.
<snip2>

Shudder?  Why do you say that?  The GMLTC has been doing that for years, and
we've only had a couple of problems in all those shows.

We don't use ropes, we don't have plexi -- if kids want to put their hands
on something they can do it.  We tell them to 'Please don't touch the
trains', or 'Watch out for the trains', and 99.9% of the kids are fine with
that.

Yea, we've had a couple of derailments caused by fingers getting too close
to the trains, like this one:
http://www.gmltc.org/fargo/pages/FIVE_CAR_WRECK02.htm  (locomotive and
caboose are still on the tracks, but lost all the other freight cars)
We called out the emergency crews:
http://www.gmltc.org/fargo/pages/FIVE_CAR_WRECK05.htm   <grin>

So we had a wreck, who cares?  It's a *TOY*, for goodness sakes!!  If
something gets wrecked, we just round up the pieces and put it back
together...  We generate as much 'good will' with the way we handle problems
as we generate when things are going well.

In all the shows I've done with the GMLTC, I've only yelled at one kid --
after he broke out two of the windows in front of our underground scenes.
After the first one, I told him to not do that any more.  After the second
one, I told him to leave and go find his parents.

Now, these next two weekends might cause us to change everything.  We're
setting up at the Jackson Street Roundhouse (http://www.mtmuseum.org) in
conjunction with a visit by "Thomas".  The Roundhouse is expecting 15,000 to
20,000 people over the seven days, and you just *know* most of them will be
kids.  So of course we'll have to be extra carefull and watchfull, but I'm
confident we'll get through the two weekends with no major disasters.

JohnG, GMLTC