 Trains / Train Organizations / 2313
Re: Crowd Control (was: Train Layout Tables)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:09:24 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, John Kelly III writes:
I'm not trying to minimize anyone's investment in time, material, or
emotional in their layouts.  My generalization (and it definitely is that)
is that the closer a model is to prototypical, the more fragile details it
has, the more "perfect" it is, the more the person who built it is nervous
about having some break it.

In lugnet.trains.org, Larry Pieniazek writes:
True.
If it's a oneoff, that is...
I hardly ever display oneoffs, most of what I display is either commercial
production work (mine from MTW, or others), or one of multiple copies...

It's not just emotional - it's financial.  Not getting at Larry, but there's
an example of someone who's got tons of stuff.  On a smaller layout, like we
do with the NBLTC, every single thing on the layout is a one-off.

My four GWR carriages, though they look a bit samey, are unique.  There's a
restaurant, a first and third class, and a third class & brake combination.
Each uses different parts.  Even my two 'identical' cement wagons are
different inside because of part availability.

Losing a single rare part in a break-up can completely blow a model.

When it comes to minifigs, I have one Dumbledore from Hagrid's Hut.  The
head is used for a station master, and the legs and hair are used on other
'characters'.  To lose one of these would be to lose the completeness of the
one copy of that set I have in my collection.

There's also no way I could replace the dark red LMS engine, so that rarely
appears outside of closed meetings.  Even if you cite the RLD events, there
was no dark-red in the LLW workshops.

I don't know about the sort of kids who attend model exhibitions, but at LLW
there were a lot of very young children who naturally wanted to touch rather
than stand back and watch.  In the uncrowded areas of the park, children are
generally allowed to run ahead a little too, as there's little harm they
could come to a few yards from their parents in plain sight.  In these
circumstances barriers were absolutely essential.  Even so, a standard queue
ribbon-barrier was hopeless as the under-fives would just walk straight
under it as if it didn't exist, and try to climb up to the display model.
Then again, most of them paid no attention to the modular train layout as it
was above their eye-level.

The 7-12 age group, the ones who seemed genuinely interested in the trains,
were well behaved and a pleasure to chat to.  I would be happy to forego the
barriers if this was the general make-up of the crowds, but in many cases it
isn't.

Jason Railton