 Storage / 878
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 00:06:59 GMT

"Frederick Grondy" <cosmicmuhammed@yahoo.com> writes:
In lugnet.starwars, William R. Ward writes:
Another problem with sorting by color that I had is that out of sheer
laziness I would tend to build models that were all one color.  To
find the right piece of another color I'd have to rake through or dump
out that color's bin.  Why do that when you've already got all the
blue pieces spread out in front of you on the floor?  So the result is
rather monochromatic and boring models

I don't think this is a flaw in the sorting system, but rather your own
admission of 'laziness'. The same can be said of me, I'm sure, with regards
to my sorting (it is easier, at least in the short-term, to sort by color).
I just can't fathom how sorting by one color will force you into building
monochromatic models. I generally have a pretty good idea of what I'm gonna
build, or at least a general idea of what it should look like before I ever
start, and pull out the appropriate colors' lots right from the start.

Maybe that's the big difference - I rarely have any particular plan
when i start building.  I start by fidgeting with some random parts,
and then an idea starts to bloom, and eventually it turns into a model
(usually a spacecraft).  Sometimes I have a rough idea of what size
and shape thing I want to build, or what kinds of Technic mechanisms
it will have, but often not.

Until recently I kept my Lego(R) Bricks Or Toys in a collection of
bins, one for each color, plus a couple of bins of special parts
(minifigs, wheels, Technic).  The model would generally be mostly one
color, and I'd dump that color out on the floor on a sheet or towel,
and have other bins scattered around.  Trouble is, it's a lot easier
to find a small black piece among thousands of black pieces if they're
spread out.  And there isn't room to spread out more than one color.
That's where the monochromatic models came from.

Under the new system, I pull open the drawer of the type of thing I
want, and rake through it.  I have 21 drawers, instead of about 10
bins, so each has less stuff.  And since the drawers contain parts of
all colors, it's easier to spot a piece of a particular color.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx