 Star Wars / 11171
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 18:18:59 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Joel Jacobsen writes:
After looking once more at Dan Jassim's latest minifig carrier, a question
came to mind I wanted to ask him but it could also be posed to everyone.
Just to satisfy my curiousity, of course. :)

(To everyone) Do you keep models built until you have no choice but to tear
them down for parts, or do you treat them like models - they're built and
stay built and work around that to make new creations?

Build, photograph and tear down to build anew.

- or -

Build, photograph and keep it built till the parts are needed?

I typically build, photograph, cad, then let the model sit around until I
need a piece from it.  I put them into cad so that I always have a record of
exactly what pieces were used, and how the model was configured.

There are some MOCs that I never bother to put into CAD.  These ones are
either experimental (to test out how certain building techniques will work
with a certain type of model) or ones that get built that I feel aren't
worth the effort of cadding.

I think I tend to do this because I remember how much time was put into them.

This is exactly why I cad them.  Once a model is built and cadded I can
reproduce the model in a matter of minutes... it's the actual design that
takes time.  Even if I'm not going to share the MOC with the world, if I
like it I'll cad it so I can use the pieces for something else but still be
able to rebuild the model if I ever desire to do so.

And usually I find that I tend to try and keep them together as long as
possible, even when stealing bits off of them - if it's not a key piece that
would destroy the whole thing just to get to.

Jus' wonderin'... :)

Joel J

Though I try to keep my bricks well sorted, I have a rather large
"to-be-sorted" pile that I put the experimental mocs or half-dissembled mocs
into.  It's basically a Lego junkyard, some mocs are almost complete, others
are stripped to a basic shell, and others that are just bits and pieces of
old mocs.  Typically when I'm building and I need a specific piece I'll
check my sorted bricks first, then check the "to-be-sorted" pile.  One of
these days I'll take the time to sort the pile out... <G>

-Bryan