 Star Wars / 11181
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:48:43 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Shaun Sullivan writes:
For the most part, I'm definitely in the "keep models together" category.  I have
a table covered with all of my WWII models right now, and another one that houses
the AT-AT and AT-ST and other Star Wars creations.  And once assembled, these
models are pretty much inviolate - I never take pieces off of them unless I take

Oh man, those are 2 tables I wish I could see in person! Your WWII models
and your SW walkers are just awesome.

the time to replace them with something better.  Rather than cannabalize,  prefer
to use my needs as an excuse to get more LEGO.
Yeah, me too. I'm running out of room though. Oh well. Before, I used to use
all the parts possible in a single project (and hence they were generally
large, Model Team type stuff or a minifig town) take a few pictures,
disassemble then repeat the process. Unfortunately (before the advent of the
internet) I lost my pictures of these projects (so I can't show anybody the
large scale F-1 I did or the Space Shuttle... those parts were used to
create the F-15, which I did keep intact); so now I keep the stuff I really
like assembled (occasionally cannibalizing here and there for parts, but
always replacing them with something similar). Also, I keep them together
because they're always works in progress... if a new piece comes along
that's better suited for what I need the model will be modified.

I envision getting a glass-doored display case in the not-too-distant future, and
keeping them in there.  I even put a bid in on one of those square display cubes
with the transparent plexiglass cube cover when "The Discovery Store" or "The
Learning Center" or whatever it was went out of business ... I had grand visions
of a corner display with the AT-AT  and everything ... but alas, no luck.
Yeah, that sounds like it'd be one heck of a great showcase display. Yeah, I
keep having to dust everything off every 5 or 10 years. In the meantime
though, if I have a cardboard box that fits a specific model well, that's
where it goes for storage (and if any pieces fall of, they're still in the box)

Mark W.