 Star Wars / 11182
Re: Building habits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 19:46:58 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Joel Jacobsen writes:
After looking once more at Dan Jassim's latest minifig carrier, a question
came to mind I wanted to ask him but it could also be posed to everyone.
Just to satisfy my curiousity, of course. :)

(To Dan) Did you have to tear down your original carrier to start this one?

(To everyone) Do you keep models built until you have no choice but to tear
them down for parts, or do you treat them like models - they're built and
stay built and work around that to make new creations?

Build, photograph and tear down to build anew.

- or -

Build, photograph and keep it built till the parts are needed?

And if you do tear it down to build new, do you tear it ALL down or just
snitch the parts needed and leave the rest built till the next part is needed?

--

I have found myself building till I run out of bricks and then trying to
scrounge up something else that works rather than cannibalize currently

I think I tend to do this because I remember how much time was put into them.

And usually I find that I tend to try and keep them together as long as
possible, even when stealing bits off of them - if it's not a key piece that
would destroy the whole thing just to get to.

Jus' wonderin'... :)

Joel J

My habit is to tear 'em down for a rebuild until I get the lowest number of
bricks used with the highest level of functional detail and strongest and
most efficient design.  I've been doing this since I was a kid and I noticed
as I returned to the hobby that my creations tend to run along the same
lines of my childhood fantasy models, they just get bigger.  Everything is
for the parts bins until I sellect them for a project.  Once the project is
complete, it sits around, gets played with and only do I tear it down after
I either have a desire to build a new creation or need the space for
something else or just want to reassemble a factory LEGO model/series from
some of those parts.  I have been leaving models built longer as I grow
older because I either have less play time :o( or because I like to write
stories around my creations :o)
I say tear 'em down!
Then build 'em better!
Aaron