 Star Wars / 10777
Re: what's left for LEGO to make?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:58:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, James Simpson writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Mark Papenfuss writes:

Reason #1 to purchase a UCS Droid Fighter: Sick amounts of brown
Reason #2 to purchase a UCS Droid Fighter: See reason #1.

Reason #3 they are on sale at TRU - do you need another reason? lol

The Technic angle sounds nifty, but the Droid Fighter is pretty ho-hum, IMO.
I'd rather get my supply of brown in a Sandcrawler

Thats what I thought untill I got a few sets (on sale) - it is actually a
pretty neat set once you hold it in your hands.  The ONLY 2 reasons I bought
it was it was on sale, and I wanted more brown parts - cheap.  But after I
built the 2 sets I bought, I went out and got 3 more of them

I agree that the set isn't all that bad (I have 2 of them after all.)  MOF, I
like the set.  My comment was really directed at the "real" Droid Fighter.
Yawn.  Kind of boring and as disposable as a paper cup.

   Disposable as a paper cup?  I wonder what a Dixie dispenser for
   *those* would look like.

   Anyways, I could see a UCS-ish Droid Fighter, given the very
   good observation Matt made.  However, I couldn't see it as an
   actual UCS set--its level of "springability" would more likely
   place it in the range of the 8000s--you know, the Technic droids.
   The tan, brown, and dark grey pieces needed have already been
   moulded for 8001/8002, and there's someone hanging around TLC
   with some Technic design flair (despite the nits folks have
   had with popping droideka heads, enzovoort).  So I'd not be
   the least bit surprised to see 8003 or 8004 as a Droid Fighter
   in Technic, fully transformable and loaded with rubber bands.

   Regarding the maligned 7111, I have about 20 of those things.
   They're great if you need lots of brown 90-deg brackets (I do),
   1x1x1.3 round-top bricks in tan (I do), and brown 1x4 tiles (oh
   yes).  Plus there are lots of "ordinary" bits that are useful--
   inverse dkgrey 2x2 med-slopes, click hinges, dkgrey headlights,
   and the like.  The only parts that make my jaw clench are the
   Brown Unuseful Sloping Bits, which are only really unuseful
   until one realises that they match up with the 6x8 ex-low-slope
   roof bricks.  Then they're *much* more interesting.  (However
   80 of them is still overkill--can't quite get around *that* yet.)
   Oh, and the 4x4 multi-slope with the Droid Fighter Head print--
   that's kind of annoying, too, but you *can* make them into
   fairing pieces (like X-wing noses, another thing I'm inundated
   with).

   But US$3 is as much as I'd ever spend for the set.  I got most
   of mine at $1.50 or less, at which they're a stunningly good
   deal.  At a half dollar each I'd take all I can get.  (And I did.)

   best

   Lindsay