 Star Wars / 10759
Re: what's left for LEGO to make?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:28:27 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Thomas Garrison writes:

The one really obvious vehicle TLC hasn't done is the Nubian from Ep 1.  The
attractions are clear:  a chrome exterior, definitely Amidala, Ric Olie, and
R2-D2; possibly Obi-Wan, Panaka, and R4-D5 (gotta get more use out of that
mold. . .).  This would be an entirely doable set as a scaled-down version
(like the Falcon).  However, Watto's Junkyard is the big Ep 1 set for 2001, and
by 2002 Ep 1 will be old news and I expect most of the sets, and certainly all
of the "non-classic" sets, will be Ep 2.

In other areas. . .I really have trouble believing that TLC would use the Kaadu
mold for only one set.  Since they seem to have tapped out ideas for Ep 1, I
expect that a Tauntaun set should be in the future somewhere.

TWS Garrison

The Nubian sounds cool, but the problem with chrome pieces is that the
“chrome” is painted on and isn’t very durable. And all chrome? Not very
likely, but a nice dream… And it would have to be chrome on the inside as
well(if large enough to have an inside!). There would be a problem with wear
and tear.
However, speaking of molds, how about couple of dewbacks with a handful of
stormtroopers?  I do not think were going to get any more TIE’s of any kind.
From a marketing point of view, I do not think that they wants to make to
many products that are similar. They could pretty much sell anything to
ardent fans like us just as long as it comes with a starwars label(esp. me!!!).
More UCS? How well did those sell? Here in Norway they practically didn’t. I
haven’t seen the X- wing  in any stores yet(only on the net).  When I called
TLC in Denmark and asked why, they said that they haven’t been making enough
profits elsewhere, so they didn’t release it(x-wing) here(the interceptor is
in the stores). Maybe that has given them cold feet for UCS.
Maybe our only hope is some playsets.

Check out my custom Falcon at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lokkene

Eivind Løkken