 Space / 7387
  Medium freighter

After a bit of a delay I now have my medium freighter, the Taranis, completed. I don't have a web page for it just yet, but I have the pictures on brickshelf. (URL) is a modified version, turned into more of a research/exploration ship. A standard (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Joel, You should be pleased. I am pleased and I only get to look at the pictures. The details are great and the ship has very pleasing overall shape. Thank you for sharing it with everyone. Bob Hayes (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Very nice! I am amazed at how many compartments and stuff you've managed to fit inside. Lots of tasty details. I really like the hydroponics garden and the way the big windows attach in the front and all of the exterior details and the color (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) :^O (drool) Beautiful! I really like how the airlock, ramp and hydroponics turned out. I also like how you incorporated the tubes under the flooring. Very reminicent of Tim Courtney's destroyer, and a very good feature. I do have a bit of (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) I just love all the little details here -- the yelow and black striping on deck edges, the exposed tubing under the deck, the little control panels all over, the hydroponics with a game table, the panoramic windows, etc. etc. etc. Wow! Cheers, (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Then I tore into the pictures on brickshelf, starting at the stuff that looked the most interesting-- the hydroponics garden. And I poked about a bit more, finding really cool stuff, seeing a pair of figures in heavy spacesuits with lights and (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Yeah, a freighter crew would probably eat a lot of spaceport nerf-burgers and fried spamcake sandwiches instead of having a hydroponices bay. ;^) <snip> (...) I like these very much. It adds a deeper level of quasi-realism to your ship. Very (...) (23 years ago, 2-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Thanks, Bob! Your freighters went a long long way towards inspiring my attempts at detail (especially on the outside of the hull). Mark's detailing of "antenna clusters" inspired the cluster on the side. :) Joel Jacobsen (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) It took a lot of effort to get the layout to be something that I liked, but also felt as though it would be functional. The big engines actually were the inspiration for the name. Taranis was the Celtic/Gaulish god of thunder and sky. Thinking (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) <snipped> (...) Thanks, Trevor! The airlock isn't pretty when you look at it from the 'inside' - so I don't have any pictures without the plate on top of it. I think, thought, that most of the details can be picked out from the 6 pics I do (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Thanks, Jeremy! Since this is a deep space capable ship, it was apparent that "Cabin fever" would set in. The Hyroponics and the game table were set up to make it feel more "homey", as well as provide additional nourishment for the crew. :) (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Hehe.. That sounds SO much better than what I have. Where were you when I was working on this?? *laugh* I'll have to save that plot device for something in the future! (...) As I mentioned to Jeremy, that was precisely what I wanted. It's (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)

  Re: Medium freighter

I love It!!!! Gary Joel Jacobsen <jacobsen@oar.net> wrote in message news:G9KpHI.BD8@lugnet.com... (...) completed. (...) brickshelf. (...) ship. (...) Kady, (...) it (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Hehe.. they had a reasonable supply of spamcake - though they need to find a free world that allows for procurement of more soo, since they are starting to run a bit low in the galley. Know of any friendly ports where they might replenish? (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) This is my other favorite method of making landing gear. It can be flimsy while it's being deployed, but once it's lowered, it will support a lot of weight. (...) I live in Everett, myself. Should you ever come back to visit your family, (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

Sweet Design. I don't care much for the color scheme, but that is just my personal taste. The design more than makes up for it. That is just plain awesome. -Mike Petrucelli (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Yep. I've been looking at the 'brick' click hinges and that's probably what I'd use since that's what I have ATM, but it still requires a redesign of the hull...mutter mutter.. :) (...) Spiffy! I haven't been able to get out there since '97, (...) (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Thanks Gary! :) <snipped> Joel (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Thanks Mike. The colors were more necessity than anything but I generally like gray and red together so I wasn't too disappointed. :) Thanks for the feedback. Joel (23 years ago, 3-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

ok, plz DO point me in the direction of some urls of the things that have inspired you 1) bob's stuff 2) mark's 'antenna clusters' ? thx much -paul (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

this thing is just a little TOO cool, very inspiring. :-) nice non symmetrical detailing a innovative way of using the blue panels sideways a SEALUG airlock ;-) sideways containers, nice idea hey now, access panels! weird, i just build a hallway w/ (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) I may have some ideas: There is a cyber slammer set that is almost all purple and black, and is in heavy discount if you find it - try KB-toys. Also, the tubes in purple were available from the purple technic racer set with the elastic band (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) (URL) 1-3 but Freighter 1 and 3 especially. (...) (URL) at most of his larger ships - you'll find a cluster of dishes and antenna's on them: (URL) pretty much all of the 'Spine' of the Neverwhere. This is one of my all time favorite ships, (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Thanks, Paul. :) (...) They turned out a lot better than I expected when I first started. Not having any of the 1/4 domes that match them, this was the only option I had. It worked pretty well. I'll be doing more with them in the future. Once (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Yep. :) (...) Yep again. :) (...) If I had more room, I'd have done that. But bamboo is healthy, too - and takes less space. :) (...) You're right. I have one or two of those and totally forgot to put them in..! :) They'll have to pick up a (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Medium freighter

(...) Yeah, that was Wayne's large row of lockers. :^) ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Well... the intrepid crew of the Taranis had a.... docking indecent it seems. While attempting to land at the Jericho Tactical Industries starport orbiting the friendly planet of Jacobsen III, they were forced to take last minute evasive (...) (23 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Woo hoo! :^) ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) hehe.. and that was a docking incident, even.. o_O lysdexics of the world untie! (not poking fun, I do have mild dyslexia) Joel J (23 years ago, 9-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

"This is Docking Port 5, watch your trajectory, Taranis! You're coming in too fast! Taranis, reply dammit! Brace for impact...aaaahhhhhh!..." (TRANSMISSION LOST) Yep, been there. buddy. I remember this huge...HUGE pirate island I built. It looked (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) LOL Yeah..something like that. (...) Oh...man..... somehow what happened doesn't seem so bad now.... o_o I think I would be sick to death if that happened. The worst that happened to me was that I launched a 2x2 red tile across the basement..I (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Dude, it was like that scene in "A Christmas Story" when Ralphy dropped the lugnuts in the snow. I used every curse word I knew with many unique combinations and even invented a few new curses. Sounded almost Klingon. (...) Heh heh! (...) Nah, (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) I almost did that myself...had I actually dropped it on the floor (which is concrete where I was, and cluttered with stuff we're working on sorting through) it would have not been pleasant. I'd have pieces lost till the fateful and as yet (...) (23 years ago, 10-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Thanks dude! (...) How about those beveled wall corners from castle sets? I think they're 3 X 3. You know, get four of them and it makes an octagonal cylinder which makes a pretty neat looking nozzle when placed sideways (like the nozzles on (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) I have a lot, actually. My space and castle collections the two I've focused on the most but I probably have more castle. I pull bits from city and other things to make my space creations. That's where most of my gray plates come from too. :) (...) (23 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Watch it... you'll find yourself on fleebnork duty with all the others. (...) Now you understand why I dig those new bits :^) ~Grand Admiral Muffin Head (23 years ago, 11-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) He's right! It's not a pretty picture, either. One time this new recruit went through two pairs of undies when he...uh, never mind. Sorry Grand Admiral, sir. (...) Bryce McGlone is the King of Click-Hinges, he ordered like a zillion of them on (...) (23 years ago, 12-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) I'm sorry Sir... (silly Muffin Head... oh..wait..! hehe.. sorry!! <G>) (...) Yeah yeah yeah. Show-off. :P Joel J (23 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Bah! I say we mutiny! (in for a penny in for a pound). He's not even in this star system, what can he do to stop us? :) (...) Now that is something that I'd love to see...! Joel J (23 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)

(...) Bah. The Grand Admiral would never put a spaceman on fleebnork duty. Of course, he _would_ order someone else to put a spaceman on fleebnork duty, but that's another subject altogether. --Spaceman Last Class JDF (23 years ago, 13-Mar-01, to lugnet.space)