 Space / 7583
7582  |  7584
Subject:
A sobering day in the life of the Taranis (was Medium freighter)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 06:36:48 GMT

In lugnet.space, Joel Jacobsen writes:
In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G9LM46.1tu@lugnet.com, Joel Jacobsen wrote:

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
Yeah, those new click hinge parts are splendid for this purpose.

You and your clicking and your hinges. Oi! :)

Seriously, I thought about it. However, this thing weighs several pounds.
It's pretty beefy. I don't believe that they would work unless they were
used at full 90o angles when deployed. I may get bold and tear the bottom of
the hull apart and try to figure something out, but I dunno.. the pads I'm
using now work well enough. Next time I'll know better. That and I need some
AT-ST's to get the cooler looking click hinges.

This is my other favorite method of making landing gear. It can be flimsy
while it's being deployed, but once it's lowered, it will support a lot of
weight.

Yep. I've been looking at the 'brick' click hinges and that's probably what
I'd use since that's what I have ATM, but it still requires a redesign of
the hull...mutter mutter.. :)

Well... the intrepid crew of the Taranis had a.... docking indecent it seems.

While attempting to land at the Jericho Tactical Industries starport
orbiting the friendly planet of Jacobsen III, they were forced to take last
minute evasive manuevers to avoid a direct collision with a construction tug
heading across the docking lanes to the recently expanded drydock in JTI's
shipyard area.

The evasive manuevers resulted in the Taranis brushing the side of a larger
luxury liner moving towards the space lanes. The liner suffered minor
exterior hull damage from plate buckling but mostly just cosmetic damage and
paint marring. At not point were any of the passengers at risk.

Unfortunately, the Taranis wasn't so lucky. Though the hull was not
breached, she did receive serious structural damage. The pilot, Kailyn
O'Rourke, was able to effect an emergency landing at the spaceport.

While the Taranis is in "drydock" for repairs, Kailyn has opted to refit the
ship's older style landing gear with a more streamlined and up to date
system manufactured by Quik-Clik LTD.

--

Translation: A table wasn't quite where it was expected to be, and me being
the silly and unthinking person I was, carried the Taranis downstairs to my

It's pretty much rebuilt but I seperated it into the lower hull and the
walls/upper hull for the moment as I've decided to rebuild the lower half to
include retractable landing gear.

While sitting there pondering life, the universe and everything, I realized
that the few LoM sets I've just gotten give me enough of the new click
hinges to actually do it. I'd have prefered a better way to approach such a
project, but it's started, anyhow.

I might even have it done in time to enter Paul's contest. o_O

Joel J