 Space / 7416
Re: Medium freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2001 01:43:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Mark Sandlin writes:
in article G9KpHI.BD8@lugnet.com, Joel Jacobsen wrote:

After a bit of a delay I now have my medium freighter, the Taranis, completed.

I don't have a web page for it just yet, but I have the pictures on
brickshelf.

This is a modified version, turned into more of a research/exploration ship.
A standard freighter of this size would have most of the dedicated areas
empty and used for cargo rather than crew quarters and such.

Yeah, a freighter crew would probably eat a lot of spaceport nerf-burgers
and fried spamcake sandwiches instead of having a hydroponices bay. ;^)

Hehe.. they had a reasonable supply of spamcake - though they need to find a
free world that allows for procurement of more soo, since they are starting
to run a bit low in the galley.  Know of any friendly ports where they might
replenish?

<snip>

There are 5 major "access panels" on the ship to allow for repair of major
functions to the ship.

I like these very much. It adds a deeper level of quasi-realism to your
ship. Very nice.

I wanted to make "smugglers" panels, but it just didn't seem to work very
well, so the next best thing was access panels. :)

I also was able to include a working airlock.

I like this, but I was wondering how you grab the doors to slide them back.
Is there a switch somewhere?

The airlock doors are sitting on 1x8 tiles and have 1x4's on top and just
slide back and forth by hand. The inner door can be easily closed by
reaching in through the outer airlock and snagging it by the window in the
door itself.
The outer airlock actually is sandwiched (kind) between to walls of the ship
but the front edge (where it meets the large trans-blue window) is exposed
so just pushing on it slides it back enough to be able to slide it closed again.

No switches. I'm not that skilled yet. Maybe in the future. :)

If I were to pick one area of the ship that I like more than any other, it
would probably be the ramp area near the Lab. The varied level of the deck
was a lot of fun to blend into the rest of the ship and make it look like it
belonged that way.

Yes, I was impressed with this, and the use of the warning stripes too.

I knew I had to do something - safety first. :) That's a large drop if one
isn't careful. At least they're warned, now. Hehe.

I would have liked to have built in functioning landing gear, but didn't
think about it until I was already finished with most of the hull and I
haven't the interest in tearing things appart to sort it out right now.
There is room to do it, since the outer hull and the inner deck are
seperated by 2 bricks everywhere but near the ramp.  I may work on this at
some point but right now I'm just happy to have it completed. :)

Yeah, those new click hinge parts are splendid for this purpose.

You and your clicking and your hinges. Oi! :)

Seriously, I thought about it. However, this thing weighs several pounds.
It's pretty beefy. I don't believe that they would work unless they were
used at full 90o angles when deployed. I may get bold and tear the bottom of
the hull apart and try to figure something out, but I dunno.. the pads I'm
using now work well enough. Next time I'll know better. That and I need some
AT-ST's to get the cooler looking click hinges.

Please let me know what you think!

Excellent work! I like it very much. Wish I could see it in person :^P

~Grand Admiral Muffin Head

Thank you kindly, Grand Admiral, sir. :) Y'know, though, Ohio isn't THAT far
away. I know. I moved from Seattle out here in '95. Only a couple 16hr days
and 2500 some miles. Did it in 5 days. God bless U-haul.  Where's a decent
freighter when you need one...??  Anytime y'feel like visiting scenic(1)
Central Ohio, you'd be welcome. :)

BTW - Glad to see you're apparently through the 'Quake ok. I was wondering
'bout ya'll. My family still lives out there, though up in
Everett/Marysville/Snohomish area so I don't believe they had anything more
than some shaking and rattling. The phone system hasn't been cooperative so
I haven't been able to get through to make sure, but since all the damage
seems to be from the 'Needle south to Olympia I figure they're fine.

Anything, thanks for the kind words and feedback.

Joel

(1) Seattle it ain't, but it's not so bad - it grows on you after a while. :)