 Space / 7387
7386  |  7388
Subject:
Medium freighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:58:30 GMT

After a bit of a delay I now have my medium freighter, the Taranis, completed.

I don't have a web page for it just yet, but I have the pictures on brickshelf.

This is a modified version, turned into more of a research/exploration ship.
A standard freighter of this size would have most of the dedicated areas
empty and used for cargo rather than crew quarters and such.

I apologize for some of the pictures being blury. :)

I'm very pleased with the outcome of this project, being my first fully
original MOC ship.

It has a crew of 4 (Captain, Engineer, Security, Medical/Research) and Kady,
a multi-role android (shown in the cockpit area - the red fig) that is
capable of functioning in any position as needed.

The crew sleeps in shifts during long flights - with never less than one
crew and Kady on duty at any time or two crew when Kady is recharging.

It has a small hyrdopronics area that is computer controlled (Cyber-ganic)
that even includes a small apple tree with 3 kinds of apples on it. :)

There are 5 major "access panels" on the ship to allow for repair of major
functions to the ship.

I also was able to include a working airlock.

If I were to pick one area of the ship that I like more than any other, it
would probably be the ramp area near the Lab. The varied level of the deck
was a lot of fun to blend into the rest of the ship and make it look like it
belonged that way.

Areas that I'd like to improve concern the head specifically. I don't like
the arrangement, but for now it will do. Next time they're at a starport
with a drydock, I expect we'll find that the crew will refit it. :)

I would have liked to have built in functioning landing gear, but didn't
think about it until I was already finished with most of the hull and I
haven't the interest in tearing things appart to sort it out right now.
There is room to do it, since the outer hull and the inner deck are
seperated by 2 bricks everywhere but near the ramp.  I may work on this at
some point but right now I'm just happy to have it completed. :)

I have pic's of the crew, but for some reason they don't want to upload.
I'll fiddle with them in the next few days. :)

Please let me know what you think!

Joel Jacobsen